Oh My God, They're Talking About Me On The Knot...

Business By costumeczar Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm by BCo

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 27

I hate when they start comparing vendors on the knot! So far everything they've said about me is good, but it's nerve-wracking.

I actually wrote the knot once and complained about vendors not having any recourse if some psycho writes something nasty about you...I'm convinced that vendors go on there and trash each other. Seems like photographers get it the worst in my area.

26 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 27

From what I know, if your a vendor on the knot and somebody complains about you, they do take those negative comments off. I've seen them do it. I was even told by one vendor that she recieved complaints & the knot took them off. I don't think thats neccessarily right though, cause thats where brides go to find out who is who. As far as vendors going on there, you can kinda tell, cause they bash vendor & go overboard on another. Its a little obvious & brides ALWAYS call them on it.

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 27

So far, comments about me have been good, but yeah, those "Knottie" brides are pretty astute!

It's almost a conflict in that The Knot wants us vendors to buy time and space on their site, yet we can't comment and respond in the threads to comments about us, nor can we respond to a bride's question when we have the expertise that can help them out. Hmmmmm.......

CakeForte Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 27

I understand the need for reviews...but I don't necessarily agree that the knot should allow negative talk about the very people that are keeping them in business by giving them expensive advertising dollars. It's like...we'll take you money and let brides say whatever they want about you.

cylstrial Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 27

Well what did they say costume??

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 27

Nothing bad was said so far. The only people who've responded are all using me for their weddings and are saying that my cakes are really good, so that's fine. All I need is for one jerk to go on there and say that my cake is dry or something, but it looks like the people who've posted so far would jump all over her.

I did a wedding show last week, and they had a cupcake-eating contest where couples had to eat 12 cupcakes as fast as they could to win a prize from me. It was the first time they'd done the contest, so they weren't sure what would happen, and they didn't give the couples anything to drink. They had the table set up on the runway they were going to use for the fashion show, so they didn't want water all over the runway. SO these poor girls had to shove half a dozen cupcakes in their mouths without any water.

Okay, so after the contest one of the losers came by lookig to see if I'd given away my doorprize yet. I told her yes, and she said "Did you do the cupcakes for the contest?" I said yes, and she said "Drrryyyyyyyy" while smacking her lips and looking like she'd sucked a lemon. I replied "They weren't dry, you were just trying to shove them all down your throat without any water." She grunted and skulked away, but THAT'S the person who will be mad that she didn't win a prize and post on the knot that my cake is dry! (See, I was going somewhere with that story! icon_wink.gif )

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 27

What a beeyotch!!!!!

snarkybaker Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 27

My experience with " knotties" is :

1- They're cheap. They tend to spend on the lower end of the spectrum.
2- They are wedding obsessed. They want to talk to you more, and can take up a LOT more time than a typical wedding consult.
3- They are pack animals. If you get the cake of the " alpha-knottie" and she likes you, you'll get a lot of cakes in the coming months.

costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

2- They are wedding obsessed. They want to talk to you more, and can take up a LOT more time than a typical wedding consult.
3- They are pack animals. If you get the cake of the " alpha-knottie" and she likes you, you'll get a lot of cakes in the coming months.

YEEEESSSSS....100% true on all counts

cylstrial Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Okay, so after the contest one of the losers came by lookig to see if I'd given away my doorprize yet. I told her yes, and she said "Did you do the cupcakes for the contest?" I said yes, and she said "Drrryyyyyyyy" while smacking her lips and looking like she'd sucked a lemon. I replied "They weren't dry, you were just trying to shove them all down your throat without any water." She grunted and skulked away, but THAT'S the person who will be mad that she didn't win a prize and post on the knot that my cake is dry! (See, I was going somewhere with that story! icon_wink.gif )

The cupcake contest sounds like fun! So what was the prize they were going to win?

And good parting shot back at the dumb bride who said the cakes were dry! icon_razz.gif

DefyGravity Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 27

link?

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:34am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

[]

The cupcake contest sounds like fun! So what was the prize they were going to win?

And good parting shot back at the dumb bride who said the cakes were dry! icon_razz.gif

They won a $75 off certificate for a groom's cake from me. The woman who came by and told me the cupcakes were dry didn't win the contest, so she got nothing and liked it icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

[]

They won a $75 off certificate for a groom's cake from me. The woman who came by and told me the cupcakes were dry didn't win the contest, so she got nothing and liked it icon_wink.gif

Nice prize! thumbs_up.gif

AXOCutie143 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #14 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

Lets not generalize here...I was a "Knottie" and I definitely was not cheap when it came to our cakes.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOCutie143

Quote:

Quote:

Lets not generalize here...I was a "Knottie" and I definitely was not cheap when it came to our cakes.

I'm sure it's not true in all areas, but where I am almost every post has "affordable" or how much" in the title, so they do tend to be bargain-hunters around here. It's also different for advertisers in different places, some people have had a lot of success advertising on the Knot, but when I had an ad on there I got nothing from it.

The danger of taking advice about what's "good" or "cheap" from wedding boards is that anyone can post anything, and you don't know if their taste or their budget is anything like yours. I obviously have a lot of brides on the Knot who are my clients and I didn't know they were Knotties, since they're coming out of the woodwork to post on the thread I'm talking about. So you're right, they're not ALL cheap, but they do tend to look for a good bargain in this area!

snarkybaker Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 27

Of course it is a generalization, but when you make business decisions, you HAVE to deal in generalizations. Generalizations are exactly what demographics are about.

And, in general, Knottie brides are younger than my average bride, and so they tend to have more guests and less total dollars to spend, so 95% of " Knotties" that we deal with end up booking our minimum ($4.50 per serving) or going with one of local cake ladies who average around $3.75 per serving.

We signed a significant contract to advertise on the knot, because the knot.com gets a huge amount of traffic, but the " knotties" , those brides who traffic the discussion boards, make up less than 10% of knot.com visitors.

Read the knot boards and see if you think I am right. It tends to be a small group of all of the same people posting over and over, and if you look, many of them end up using one of just a couple of vendors, both for price and "pack" reasons. Sure there are a few exceptions, but not many.

cylstrial Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 27

[/quote]
It's also different for advertisers in different places, some people have had a lot of success advertising on the Knot, but when I had an ad on there I got nothing from it.

[/quote]

Wow! That's good to know. You always want to know where you should spend your advertising money.

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #18 of 27
Quote:

It's also different for advertisers in different places, some people have had a lot of success advertising on the Knot, but when I had an ad on there I got nothing from it.

[/quote]

Wow! That's good to know. You always want to know where you should spend your advertising money.[/quote]

I'm one that has had good success. One year (I think it was 200icon_cool.gif, I spent $1500 on The Knot and got $7500 worth of business with it.

costumeczar Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #19 of 27

The only response I ever got from the Knot was people emailing me from across the country asking me things like "how do you make a rose?" and "where did you get the cake topper on the third picture on your white cakes page?" icon_mad.gif It really does vary by area!

CoutureCake Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #20 of 27

All you have to do is if you see negative talk about vendors on theknot is click the "report" button at the bottom of the said post and they're very good about getting it off of there ASAP..

Several years back now I had an issue with someone hijacking a bride's groom's-cake photo and bashing the heck out of the cake and my business (whomever it was wasn't even at the wedding so hadn't tasted it either)... Let's just say I raised a stink and not only were the posts in question removed, but they also banned the offending parties from being able to post on there (they literally had the bride in tears)...

The knot is pretty easy to deal with when problems arrise and they side with "we can't verify either side and since vendors can't post it gets automatically deleted upon them being made aware of it".

Carlymoon Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #21 of 27

I too used to be a knottie and didn't consider myself cheap. We found our baker through the recommendations which I otherwise would not have. She was wonderful and made us a high quality cake and I in turn have recommended her many times and have ordered from her since. I never really remember a lot of negative reviews about things usually many girls will simply recommend their vendors and in the case of negativity DEFEND their vendor.

Carlymoon Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #22 of 27

I too used to be a knottie and didn't consider myself cheap. We found our baker through the recommendations which I otherwise would not have. She was wonderful and made us a high quality cake and I in turn have recommended her many times and have ordered from her since. I never really remember a lot of negative reviews about things usually many girls will simply recommend their vendors and in the case of negativity DEFEND their vendor.

leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #23 of 27

Ummm . . . you guys just need to create what's known as an AE (Alter Ego) for the Knot. I have several. I set up emails on gmail and yahoo (and others) and then post away. I never bash another vendor and I know quite a few that post on our local boards under ther assumed names. And most vendors have several.

You all are correct that if you get a negative on the discussion boards, you can email [email protected] and she will removed it for you.

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Ummm . . . you guys just need to create what's known as an AE (Alter Ego) for the Knot. I have several. I set up emails on gmail and yahoo (and others) and then post away. I never bash another vendor and I know quite a few that post on our local boards under ther assumed names. And most vendors have several.

You all are correct that if you get a negative on the discussion boards, you can email [email protected] and she will removed it for you.

Bingo! And one bride told me they are pretty good at figuring out which ones are vendors disguised as brides and suggested that I post pics of dresses, flowers, etc .... like a bride planning a wedding. (My alter ego is usually a bridesmaid or MOB so I'm not expected to really get too involved in discussions or postings.) icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #25 of 27

Girl, I even pull pictures off the web to post as my thumbnail.

Some vendors are too obvious. I've got an AE right now who writes as a breathless 20 year old.

CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #26 of 27

Leahs too funny!! I love it!

BCo Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Girl, I even pull pictures off the web to post as my thumbnail.

Some vendors are too obvious. I've got an AE right now who writes as a breathless 20 year old.

Classic!!! Love it! This is what I was thinking all along....why not just become one of "them"!! But yes, don't make it OBVIOUS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%