What I Learned This Week. Haha.

Business By Kitagrl Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm by BlakesCakes

Kitagrl Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 4

Went to San Diego to visit a friend this week....her boys wanted me to make a fun cake so I threw a tub of chocolate fondant and some gumpaste into my suitcase to make a cowboy hat cake with them.

I found out airline security does not like tubs of suspicious looking fondant. haha. I got there and I had an inspection notice and the lid was off the gumpaste, and there was traces of chocolate fondant on the outside of the gumpaste tub and a tiny bit on my pillow....and a little piece of fondant that looked like it had been torn off, looked at, then thrown back in on top of the bag and then the lid replaced.

On the way home I taped my business card to each lid and a note as to what it was and to please don't touch (can you imagine what is on those gloved hands they then stuck into my fondant tubs???) and still I did find an inspection notice and my stuff had been gone through, but I could not tell if they opened the fondant tubs this time or not.

So....next time I guess I'll look online for a bakery supply in my destination city!!!! haha.

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

Eeeeww! Gross!

I once had all of the bras that I'd packed stolen out of my luggage! They must hire some real weirdos for the TSA. (They weren't even nice bras, for pete's sake.)

cupcakemkr Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 4

yuck! that just gave me the hibby jibbies!

I can just picture those dirty fingers poking, squishing, and tearing the fondant and them sniffing at it. Good lord, couldn't they just have x-rayed it, or better yet read the label! And why would they have to dig through everything else after getting their hands all sticky? that's rude!

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 4

The inconsistencies of the TSA just boggle the mind sometimes.

I flew from Cleveland to Las Vegas to make my son's wedding cake. One checked bag had 63 pounds of decorating equipment in it--fondant, buttercream, tools, cake boards, pillars, etc. It wasn't examined by TSA on either leg of the trip!

That said, CMC can be used as one of the natural gums in fondant. CMC has a similar "sniff print" to some explosives, so that can lead to a secondary inspection---and opened containers.

I had a can of gum-tex in checked luggage on the way to Cake Camp. It was opened by TSA--but not closed properly icon_mad.gif It spilled all over my stuff, collected humidity on the way to Las Vegas, and turned into gum glue icon_cry.gif I cleaned out the suitcase the best I could, but every time I used it, it got opened and inspected because the sniffer machine thought it hads a bomb in it icon_confused.gif . I just threw it away last month............

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%