Emergency - Rbc Help Needed Please!

Decorating By evasmama Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm by BlakesCakes

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 4

Ok. I'm making a surprise cake for my husband today, and I decided to try RBC over BC for the first time. I've used fondant once, for decorations only.

I got a RBC recipe from CC. The original recipe was 1 c. each corn syrup and shortening, 2 lbs. PS, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt. It came out super greasy, so I have added more PS. I haven't measured, but I've added at least another half a pound of PS.

The stuff wound up being too dry, so I've added a drizzle of corn syrup and two pinches of shortening. That made it too wet again, so I dusted on more PS and kneaded more. When it seemed like the right consistency, I tried to roll it out and it tore like crazy.

HELP ME PLEASE! I only have a few hours left until he gets home. Having planned on covering my BC'ed cake with this stuff, the cake itself is iced and smooth, but full of crumbs and not the color I wanted on the outside.

Aack!

3 replies
evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 4

Anyone?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 4

RBC is very hard to work with to cover a cake. It's great for figures or cookies.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 4

Roll out the size you need between 2 pieces of parchment paper.
Put that flat into the refrigerator or freezer until firm--just a few minutes in either one.
Peel off the top piece of parchment and allow to warm on the counter until just flexible enough to sit on the top of the cake and droop a bit.
Peel off the parchment while the RBC is sitting on top of the cake.
Gently smooth down the sides of the RBC. If it tears, it can be easily repaired and smooth with the heat of your hands.
Buff the finished product with a mixture of PS & CS on your hands. Allow to dry for a bit and then gently smooth again with your fondant smoother.

One word of caution--this stuff is tooth-achingly sweet.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%