Metal Vs Plastic Fondant Tools

Decorating By QueenJessica Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm by JenniferMI

QueenJessica Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

WHICH DO YOU PREFER? I HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH THE WILTON PLASTIC FLOWER CUTTERS (GETTING A CLEAN CUT). I WAS TOLD METAL IS BETTER. I LOOKED AT PME PRODUCTS AND THEY HAVE BOTH PLASTIC AND METAL. WHAT WOULD YOU RECCOMMEND?

ALSO, HAS ANYONE USED THE PME FLOWER BLOSSOM PLUNGER CUTTERS? WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

6 replies
bashini Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I have both plastic and metal. When you use metal cutters, you need to be careful, because if you put to much preasure on it, the shape will change. That happend to me once, when I was using diamond shaped cutters. And I have the plastic blossom plunger cutters. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 7

I have some plastic and some metal. They all seem to work about the same, but for some shapes it really helps to turn the cutter over while the shape is still in it, and run your finger over the edges to make smooth edges...especially the Wilton daisy cutter and the Jem 5 petal rose cutters.

I haven't used the plunger cutters. They look fun but I'm not big on ordering things online so I just haven't tried them yet. A cheap substitute is scrapbook punches...they're great for making shapes with lots of curves or sharp corners, for examples stars or snowflakes.

Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:48am
post #4 of 7

I prefer the nice plastic ones. I don't like some of the metal cutters because they rust.

QueenJessica Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 7

does anyone notice if metal ones have a cleaner cut?

Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 7

Honestly, my plastic and metal cutters performs the same. I have to get the right consistency of gumpaste/fondant to get a clean cut.

JenniferMI Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 7

I have some metal, some plastic. They both perform well. If you are having issues, put the cutter on the table, put the paste OVER the cutter and roll with your cel pin. You should get a clean cut everytime doing it this way.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%