Luster On Ribbons/lace Befor Or After Putting On Cake?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm by drakegore

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

(i did search the forum for this and either got nothing or 2,396 responses, lol).

i had always thought you had to apply painted wet luster to ribbons and lace after it was applied to cake.

then i saw it being done BEFORE it was applied to cake, allowed to dry, and then put on cake (which i like the idea of better because i would feel like i had better control).

would it not come off on your fingers when you put it on the cake if you apply the luster first? or does it stay put when it is allowed to dry after being painted on?

i would love for someone to tell me i can paint first, then apply to cake without messing the ribbons or lace up icon_smile.gif.

thanks!
diane

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, I haven't painted lustre dust with clear alcohol on a fondant ribbon. But I have dry lustre dusted it and then attached the fondant ribbon around the cake. It does comes out slightly, but you can touch it once you have glued the ribbon to the cake. icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 5

that is good to know! thank you! i am sure i will be doing dry dusting in the future! i love your photos!

the project i have is going to need gold luster saturated with the gold color, so i think on this particular one i will have to go with painting or spraying wet to get the depth of color.

anyone do it wet, let it dry, and then put it on?

diane

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5

For the 2, 50th anniversary cakes I did that I used gold fondant lace on, I mixed the luster dust with Everclear and painted the lace. I let dry a bit and then put it on the cake. Yep, it comes off on your fingers! Once in place I just touched the lace up in the spots where I'd touched it.

Jodie

drakegore Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 5

thank you jodie!

i wonder if i would get the same results from spraying the gold one (pme luster dust spray can, not airbrush, sigh...one day, lol)? probably, eh?

still, even with having to touch up, i think i would do a better job if i was able to do it before i put it on the cake because i am afraid i would end up painting the cake itself icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%