Apparently Today Is Not The Day For Topsy-Turvys...

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 12:06am by ceshell

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 4

I just had a complete disaster with my first topsy-turvy!! I started baking last night, WASC, like I always do. When I filled my pans I thought my batter was more runny than usual... I should have stopped there!! I made my ganache (only my second time ever) and it wasn't setting up like I thought it should. I went ahead and started putting the cake together and carving, but the layers were sliding because the ganache wasn't setting up. Also, the cake was just crumbling under my knife... a result of whatever happened to make the batter thinner. I managed to get everything carved and crumb-coated, kinda. I was happy with the bottom tier but the top tier was atrocious!! I was hoping the fondant would cover all the mess and I could smooth it out okay. I started rolling out my fondant, SatinIce, and as soon as I put it on the cake it started ripping and falling off the back. I took it off and part of the top and back of the cake came off with it!! At this point I am just going to stop and try again later. I already have to throw out quite a bit of expensive (for me) fondant, it's not worth it to try and salvage. Thankfully this was just a practice cake... I couldn't imagine what would have happened if this were the cake I am going to make in two weeks!! But, on the bright side, it tastes wonderful!! WASC with milk chocolate ganache is now my favorite flavor combo...

I do have some questions though:

1. Why is my SatinIce cracking and breaking?? It always seems a little dry, although I have never had problems like this. I am in a dry climate, could that be the issue?? And if it is, then how do I work around that??

2. What is a good ganache recipe to use as a base under fondant?? I have heard it is the best to use, but I definately need a different recipe!!

3. I have no idea what happened to the WASC, what is your favorite recipe for carving?? Maybe I should try something else...

Sorry this was so long!! Any insight would be appreciated!!

3 replies
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure what's wrong with the Satin Ice. Scares me a bit since I use it all the time. Hope they haven't changed it!

I am about to make a white chocolate ganache today. i saved this post in hopes it might come in handy. This post gives you the ratio for white chocolate and chocolate ganache. Haven't read through it in awhile, but might have more helpful tips. I do know letting it sit overnight is very important!

Planet Cakes new book sound like a good investment - I think I need it!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-629422.html

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 4

chocolate ganache is a 2:1 ratio and white chocolate ganache is 3:1 ratio to put under fondant. If you don't have sugarshack's "Totally Topsy Turvy" DVD I highly recommend it. Her website is www.sugaredproductions.com

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #4 of 4

FWIW I made milk chocolate ganache once and it wouldn't set up for me either. I normally make bittersweet chocolate ganache with the 1:1 ratio, so that was an unpleasant surprise. Dark chocolate ganache sets up so firm, you actually have to heat it up a bit in order to pipe with it. For milk chocolate ganache I've read the 2:1 tiggy2 mentions is recommended. How long did you wait for it to set up? Mine takes overnight, unless I refrigerate it. Also use the heaviest cream you can find. I use the Heavy Cream at Trader Joe's as it's cheap and restaurant-grade (meaning it has the highest fat content...woohoo! party.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%