Gold Effect

Decorating By Sumkat Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm by Makeitmemorable

Sumkat Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 10

Why don't my gold accents ever come out looking gold? I am using gold glaze to paint fondant to get that gold effect but it never comes out looking quit right. I see lots of different gold accents on this website that look brilliant so what am I missing?

9 replies
Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 10

Hi There,

I have used the gold affect quite a lot. I have gold powder - you can use it two ways, sprinkle it over the fondant and rub it over with a big brush or your hand or you can mix it with alcohol if you need to paint something fine with it.

I am not sure what your gold glaze is, but is it is something I bought once, it is not nearly as affective as the gold dust.

Hope this helps
Kim icon_rolleyes.gif

jardot22 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 10

I start out with yellowish fondant, then paint it with gold luster dust mixed with vodka. It works pretty well for me.

Charmed Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Kimmy,
what brand is your gold dust?

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 10

Hi Charmed,

The brand is called "Cake Ornament Co". It Gold power and I have the silver as well. Looking at it now, I think it is packed through a company in QLD, Australia. There is no other detail on it.

It is brilliant in both the gold and silver. The silver you can make look like stainless steele if you rub it on fondant with you hand. I have a toaster in my pictures that I used the silver on and a Cartier Gift box I used the gold on.

Hope this helps, if you need any other info, drop me a line.
Cheers from Oz,
Kim cowboy.gif

Sumkat Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 10

Is there a difference in the types of dust you can purchase ( I hear them referred to as luster dust, disco dust, and several other terms)? Are these all the same thing or are they different and what is the difference? I have some dust I purchased, it's Wilton brand, and it did not really work the way you are describing. Is there a brand that you really like that really gives good coverage and can be purchased in the US in a Michael's, Joann's, or cake decorating store or online?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 10

Hi Summer,

This is gold POWDER. Perhaps contact them and see who their supplier it. I am sure they purchase the powder in bulk and just re-package and distribute it in Oz.
There website is their website : http://www.cakeornament.com.au

Let me know if you need more info.
Cheers,
Kim

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 10

Hi Summer,

This is gold POWDER. Perhaps contact them and see who their supplier it. I am sure they purchase the powder in bulk and just re-package and distribute it in Oz.
There website is their website : http://www.cakeornament.com.au

Let me know if you need more info.
Cheers,
Kim

Charmed Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy25

Hi Charmed,

The brand is called "Cake Ornament Co". It Gold power and I have the silver as well. Looking at it now, I think it is packed through a company in QLD, Australia. There is no other detail on it.

It is brilliant in both the gold and silver. The silver you can make look like stainless steele if you rub it on fondant with you hand. I have a toaster in my pictures that I used the silver on and a Cartier Gift box I used the gold on.

Hope this helps, if you need any other info, drop me a line.
Cheers from Oz,
Kim cowboy.gif

thanks Kimmy. I just took a look at your album and your cakes are beautiful!! thumbs_up.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Charmed, I appreciate your feedback. Kim cowboy.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%