Some Questions About Burgundy Coloring...

Decorating By grannys3angels Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm by grannys3angels

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone,

My nephew is getting married, his bride to be would like her colors burgundy & sage.

My questions are: 1. does the color burgundy affect the taste of the icing (iced in buttercream)?

2. What colors could I use to get a deep rich burgundy?

3. Would or could the color burgundy bleed?

I would be greatful for any info you could share about this color.
Thanks so much!

God Bless,
Sharon

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 5

When I get a bride who asks for burgundy, I always ask her "Burgundy-Red or Burgundy-Purple?" Learned the hard way YEARS ago that people have different visions of what "burgundy" is.

There is a burgundy color gel you can buy. It's on the purple side. I made some burgundy yesterday that needed to be more on the red side, so I had to add red to it to get the color I needed (to match the dress).

The color can bleed if it's applied to 'wet' icing. I let my base icing crust well, then when I apply the color decors, it sets up fine.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 5

I know that Wilton has a burgandy color. That might be a good jumping off point, and you can always add to it to get your perfect shade. Good luck!

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 5

I am glad to have found this post.I will be using burgandy next month,glad to know this info.since I have never used it before.I haven't purchased my color yet but I have been looking at the americolor on gsa. and also the wilton burgandy anyone know which is better?They are both gel colors.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much Debi & DefyGravity for your reply and the info.

I didn't think about that Debi, it is ture people can see burgundy as "Burgundy-Red or Burgundy-Purple. I always see it as a burgundy wine icon_smile.gif

Thanks kokopuff, I will have to check out the Americolor burgundy.

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%