Fondant/gumpaste Figurines...how To Smooth Creases?!?!?

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 1:15am by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! I made my first fondant/gumpaste mix figurine last night and I am surprised at how well it came out. My only problem is making it look smooth like all of the figurines on this site. I have the Wilton tool set and did try to smooth out the creases but they are still very visible. There are also little creases from my fingers. Is there something you do after the figurine is complete to kind of 'buff' it, or am I doing something wrong while creating it?

7 replies
thecarouselcloset Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 8

I use a little bit of crisco.

cakeflake80 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks...I will try that tonight when I make the next one!

plbennett_8 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 8

Hit it with steam... After you do any dusting, or coloring...

plbennett_8 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 8

Hit it with steam... After you do any dusting, or coloring...

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8

To avoid cracks developing, you need to start each piece--head, arms, legs, torso--by rolling a crack-free ball.

You have to press quite hard with the palms of your hand to do this, but then when you form shapes or roll logs, they'll have no creases or cracks.

HTH
Rae

lecrn Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

To avoid cracks developing, you need to start each piece--head, arms, legs, torso--by rolling a crack-free ball.

You have to press quite hard with the palms of your hand to do this, but then when you form shapes or roll logs, they'll have no creases or cracks.

HTH
Rae

Agree with starting with crack-free balls for ea piece.
I've found some of the clay magazines helpful on how to do gp figures.

cakeflake80 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for all your help. I think that is what I am doing wrong...I am trying to get the balls completely crack free but it seems impossible. Maybe it's a pressure thing....I will add more pressure next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%