Marshmallow Fondant Not Drying - Please Help!

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm by Cake-Girl1968

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 4

My friend and I are working on a NYC - Broadway cake. We cut out a whole sky line with marshmallow fondant and painted it. It's been laying on top of a shelf for over a week, maybe even two weeks and it's still really flexible. Is there anything I can do at this point? The party isn't until August 9th, we just started early. Also, any advice on how to prevent this in the future is welcome.

3 replies
minicuppie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 4

Either remake it with gumpaste or try drying in a barely warm oven. Good luck.

kokopuff Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 4

What did you use to paint it with?I have only recently just started working with mmf but it doesn't ever seem to dry out.Some people suggest adding tylose powder to it for figures and such or mixing it 50 mmf 50 gumpaste but if you need it to stand up I would do like minicuppie suggested and do it strictly in gumpaste.Hope this helps!

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 4

The problem is that it's too late to mix it. The buildings were airbrushed and then we painted it with gel paints mixed with vodka. It too big and intricate to go back and redo so I need to figure out a way to make this work. If it comes down to it, we'll put cardboard backs on them but I'm sort of a purist and don't like to have lots of non-edible parts on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%