What To Do.........hmmm....what To Do? Help Me Out On This 1

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm by Makeitmemorable

sweetneice Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all!

I have a magic line 5x2 pan and thought maybe I could use it as the 6" cake topper for a very small wedding cake feeding 75. I thought to do a 6, 8, and 10" but when I stacked the pans it just looked like a straight line of pans with no edge to decorate on. So i found a 5x2, 8, and 10" looked perfect, but I don't want to be short on servings. Help please! Thank you cake buddies. Happy Baking

5 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

Are they round, square, etc? If round, you would have had 74 servings with the original design. When the cakes are stacked you will have a 2" border/difference which looks nice, not straight. Stacked cakes always look different from stacked cake pans.

If you decide to use the 5x2, you will lose approx. 3 servings. If I'm figuring this out right, a 5x2 pan will yield approx. 9 servings. Either way will look nice. icon_smile.gif

sweetneice Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! I was worried there wouldnt be room around the edges with the orginal design. I think I'm going to go with what I orginally said.Oh, it's a round cake! Sorry! lol

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 6

Hi there,

If the tins are square, you will have plenty of slices - are they coffee or dessert slices. If coffee, you will have plenty even if they are round.

Good luck

sweetneice Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 6

It's for a small 3 tier round wedding cake for 75 people. I like the spacing with the 5x2, 8, and 10inch cake. I guess i could make 3 wedding cupcakes to go with the cake for the servings I may lose. What do you think?

Makeitmemorable Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

Perhaps we measure our servings differently here, but we calculate coffee slices on a 1inch square of cake, so if it was a 10" square, you should be able to feed say, 90-100 people. If it was round, we estimate 70-80 coffee slices.

Perhaps you guys cut them larger. If you base it on 2 inches per serve then you will get 73 slices - I don't think you will need the cup cakes at all - not everyone eats it and perhaps some won't show. Don't panic, I am sure it will look lovely with the 6" or 5x2. I would be inclined to do the 6" to keep it uniform.

Best of luck, Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%