What Is This?

Decorating By sweetcakesbydesign Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 2:31am by sweetcakesbydesign

sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone help me? What is that wire that you put into cakes that have gumpaste stars or other decorations that you can put on the end?
Like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=907733

8 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 9

I just did a cake for the 4th of july that had stars on wires and I used floral wire that I bought at walmart.hth icon_smile.gif

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 9

Would it be toxic, is there any film or something on the wire that would intoxicate that part of the cake?
Thanks

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 9

Would it be toxic, is there any film or something on the wire that would intoxicate that part of the cake?
Thanks

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 9

I wouldn't stick them directly into the cake - either stick the wires into balls of fondant (which seems to be the case on your example cake) or if you have to stick them into the cake use coffee stirrer straws, so that the wire is not in direct contact with the cake.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 9

I used cofee stir sticks thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 9

I fill a drinking straw with melted candy melts ( I use a clean dedicated syringe) and stick the wires in the melted goo. When it cools the wires stay put. Then I stick the straw in the cake.

thecarouselcloset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecarouselcloset Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I fill a drinking straw with melted candy melts ( I use a clean dedicated syringe) and stick the wires in the melted goo. When it cools the wires stay put. Then I stick the straw in the cake.

aww thx! my prob was that the wires would move all over the place because they were too big!

sweetcakesbydesign Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #9 of 9

oh wow thanks poohsmomma, i would have never of thought of that. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%