Ganache Didn't Set

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm by sugarshack

kkswmmr114 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 4

I used this recipe:

24 oz. milk chocolate chips
16oz. cream
2 oz. sugar

I used the same recipe about a month ago and it set up great. I did, however, use different ingredients and I think that is where I went wrong. Last time I used half and half but this time I used heavy cream. I was reading on another thread that the cream needs to be higher in fat content so that is why I changed that ingredient. I also wanted to make a milk chocolate ganache and the only thing I could find was hershey's milk chocolate chips because they didn't have milk chocolate baking chocolate.

Could the change in ingredients have caused it to not set up??

Also, I was planning on covering this cake in fondant... but if the ganache isn't set will it be able to hold up the fondant??

Thank you so much for any insight that you can give me!! Thankfully this was a test cake and I was only planning on donating it to a local charity, I don't have to if it doesn't work out, lol.

3 replies
Charmed Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

Ganache didn't set probably because the cream wasn't boiled. boil it for a minute or a little more to reduce the water content of the cream.

sugarshack Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

you have too much cream in that ratio. to set up for fondnat use it nneds to be 2:1 choc to cream ( or even less cream)

which in your recipe would be 24 ounce choc and 12 ounce cream. heavy cream is what you want, not half and half.

you also do not need to add any sugar

HTH

sugarshack Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 4

you have too much cream in that ratio. to set up for fondnat use it nneds to be 2:1 choc to cream ( or even less cream)

which in your recipe would be 24 ounce choc and 12 ounce cream. heavy cream is what you want, not half and half.

you also do not need to add any sugar

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%