Best Way To Cut Wooden Dowels

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm by wrightway777

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 9

Doing my first stacked cake today and I am planning on using wiltons wooden dowels what is the best way to cut them so they are flat across the top.

TIA

8 replies
sweetcakesbydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbydesign Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 9

i use gardening shears or a serated knife and just bend them at the edge of the counter and rub off the unwanted splinters

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 9

I use the serrated knife method ^^^^ mentioned.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 9

After this one, can I talk you into SPS?

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 9

leah i need to loook into sps... i know its beeter

mindy1204 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 9

leah i need to loook into sps... i know its beeter

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 9

I did a post here before on using plumber pipe cutter (mine is by Greenlee is 8 1/2" long and is lightweight- has one large blade bought at hardware store). Its not very expensive and it gives me a straight across cut that bypass blade garden shears cannot provide IMHO. It also does almost to no splintering (I simply turn the stick and score first and it easily cuts the wood like butter) . I love to do 3D type cakes and if I do tiered cakes I like to make them in different heights so at this time SPS (even though its great) is not in my near future. I never have to ask for dowels back which means client doesnt have to worry about washing or returning. Honestly I also still like using the decorator white plastic tubes (and so do a lot of very well known cake decorators) which can also be cut with the plumber pipe cutter without crushing the tube and never need them back.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 9

Pets toenail clipper. Given this tip by a master cake decorator.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 9

...I saw some anvil garden pruners that do not have bypass blades today at the hardware store ...that would work too (the type that has the rounded base that the blades touch when it is compressed). Lowes or Home Depot would carry them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%