Topsy Turvy Train Wreck

Decorating By sunbuny Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 2:52am by ashleyandlee

sunbuny Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:29am
post #1 of 10

Okay, I was probably being too ambitous but I tried making my first topsy turvy cake today. I have spent nearly 5 hours on it so far and it is seriously starting to look like crap. My filling didn't set hard enough (I was using a chocolate/honey crumble filling) and the cakes have started sliding everywhere. It looks topsy turvy alright but I think the top is just about to topple over. I feel like crying and giving up cake decorating for ever! Is this nornal or do most people suceed on their first attempt of topsy turvy cakes???

9 replies
Amanda1985atl Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 10

I started a my first topsy turvey cake at 8 Wednesday night and didn't finish until 2:30 in the morning. I still had to do a little more work when I work up on Thursday, but it was only about an hours worth. The cake looked fine, but when the customer picked it up something went wrong. She got 5 mintues from her house and the cake fell in on itself. I wish there was a way I could post the picture to show you how bad it looked after it fell. Some people have all the luck the first time. Sometimes it might be your 5 or 6 cake that you end up messing up on. Just remember that everyone is bound to have a "bad cake day". I hope your ended out alright.

Amanda1985atl Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 10

I started a my first topsy turvey cake at 8 Wednesday night and didn't finish until 2:30 in the morning. I still had to do a little more work when I work up on Thursday, but it was only about an hours worth. The cake looked fine, but when the customer picked it up something went wrong. She got 5 mintues from her house and the cake fell in on itself. I wish there was a way I could post the picture to show you how bad it looked after it fell. Some people have all the luck the first time. Sometimes it might be your 5 or 6 cake that you end up messing up on. Just remember that everyone is bound to have a "bad cake day". I hope your ended out alright.

kkswmmr114 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 10

My first one is heading that way right this moment!! I have heard about how great ganache is to use under fondant and it keeps cake like the topsy turvy ones very stable... But now my ganache is setting up!! It's still pretty gooey and I'm wondering if I should even try to put fondant over it or if that is just going to make things worse...

tiggy2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 10

sugarshack let's her ganache set up for approx. 12 hours before adding the fondant. Her recipe is a 2:1 ratio. If you don't have her Totally Topsy Turvy DVD I highly recommend it.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 10

I have to admit, my first topsy turvy came out great. I've loved how the sides carved so nice. My biggest concern was the fondant, but it went on smooth. BUT I've also been decorating on & off for 17 years! I think it was my expeirinece that helped me. Topsy turvy was new to me, but not fondant. That I've been working with for as long as I've been decorating. As they always say practice makes perfect. Keep trying & don't give up. icon_wink.gif

sunbuny Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 10

An update on how my cake turned out... I ended up just using the top tier so it was a topsy turvy 1 tier cake. It still looked okay in the end and tasted nice. The thing I have learned from this experience is not to rush - I baked the cakes on the Friday afternoon and started carving away whilst the cake was still relatively soft etc. Also, I made a nice chocolate mouse and honey crumble filling which I should have let set... instead I tried using it straight away so the lesson is - plan ahead and give myself time. I will try again and won't give up icon_smile.gif

Thank you for everybodies support - it makes such a difference to hear that I'm not the only one who has these types of disasters.

LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 10

Might I make a suggestion, fill your cakes, stacked upside down (biggest layer at the bottom), put it in the fridge for about an hour, then carve away. It will not crumble apart and it is much easier to get the shape carved upside & then just flip it right side up when you cover it in fondant.

sunbuny Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #9 of 10

Thats a great suggestion - thank you. I'll definately try it again and I'll use your tip.

The only bad thing about these "practise" cakes is finding somebody to eat them - they are so big and I'm putting on weight with all the eating to stop the wastage icon_surprised.gif

ashleyandlee Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 2:52am
post #10 of 10

Sorry to hear about your topsy turvy fiasco! I got lucky with my first topsy turvy cake - it was a wedding cake for a paying customer and SOMEHOW it turned out perfectly.

One thing I did that I think really helped was freeze the cakes before carving them. It made it SO much easier to cut them up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%