Help Please! Pending Disaster :-(

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 1:46am by OregonCakeLady

BakeLoveMom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 9:27am
post #1 of 6

I made my first topsy turvy cake after watching Sugarshack's video...only, I didn't have the ingredients for ganache so I used a crumb coat of buttercream.
I used Satin Ice fondant for the first time, due to not having time with my other orders to make my own. The fondant is saggy and cracked.
I covered them only after freezing the cakes enough for the icing to be hard (maybe 40 min.)
On the top tier part of the cake broke off and slide down under the fondant and now the fondant is cracked open there. It is in the back, could I patch it?
I don't have time to rebake and start over. This cake is a surprise for my hubby's 30th Birthday, it has to travel 2 hours in a car...I think the fondant will just finish cracking and slide down. If I put it in the freezer for a couple hours or the fridge before we left would it travel better? I know condensation will develop and not to touch it until it dries again, but the cake isn't needed until tom.
Please let me know what I should do, what would you do?
Next time ganache only...ahhhhhh.

Thanks,
Sarah

5 replies
sunbuny Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:36am
post #2 of 6

Hi Sarah

Sorry I can't help you (i'm the author of topsy turvy train wreck) but just wanted to say I feel your pain. My cake was meant to be for my husband's birthday also - instead he just helped me clean up the mess in the kitchen.

Guess I'll be buying a cake now icon_cry.gif

Good luck with yours - hope it turns out okay.

Sunbuny

kkswmmr114 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

I am having the exact same problem!! I use SatinIce all the time... which isn't very often because i am only a hobby decorator, but this time is a disaster!! It is taking me forever to roll out and then when I try to put it on the cake it is just ripping apart. I took it off and it took off part of the cake with it. I have wasted alot of expensive fondant. I did use ganache under mine but it isnt setting up at all hardly and i think that could be part of my problem. I am going to end up throwing mine out... Thankfully it was only a test run for a topsy turvy cake that I am going to do in two weeks.

Sorry I couldn't help... but I hope you are able to fix it!!

underthesun Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 6

First - take a deep breath and step back. Now, is there any way to take the fondant off? if so, I would take the fondant off, scrape the buttercream off and start over. Maybe you could level the top cake that broke? Anymore buttercream? It sounds like a pain, but I've had this happen at midnight and made the choice to just try and get away with decorating around it and propping up as best I could. During the 3 hour drive, it continued to slide.

Second - I think it could be the buttercream and condensation, caused by the amount of humidity actually in the freezer. Recheck the sugarshack video - I'm positive they are specific about how much time in the freezer and it's not 40 minutes. I took a class by Colette Peters and she discussed the amount of humidity in our home fridge and freezer versus a commercial unit. After my disaster, I'm a believer in minimal amount of time. I know this info doesn't help much, but I hope you're able to fix it icon_sad.gif

BakeLoveMom Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys...sorry I didn't reply right away but the disaster happened sooner than I had thought. The bottom tier cracked and some fell over. I was just sad because it was supposed to be for my hubby's surprise 30th birthday. I know it wasn't the cake consistancy because I used her recipe...I do agree with you guys that it was prob how long I kept it in the freezer. Although, I usually do it that long with all my previous cakes and haven't ever had a problem like this. Oh well. Now, it is cake ball time. I haven't ever made those either but hopefully I have a better time with it. uhhh, I wish it would have worked out, he loves those kinds of cakes, oh well, I will have to work on my technique and maybe to a just because cake for him. Oh well.

Thanks again,
Sarah

OregonCakeLady Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:46am
post #6 of 6

If it's not too big of a crack, you can patch it. I have patched fondant with a watered down royal icing mixture. Not too watered down just enough to give it a shine and not drag with the paint brush. pipe the royal icing into the crack and then use a paint brush and egg whites or vodka to smooth out the royal icing. This really only works on white cakes unless you are going to paint the final cake with royal icing paint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%