Cakes Pricelists

Decorating By joimer Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 2:18am by indydebi

joimer Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #1 of 12

is there anyone who can share their cakes' pricelists for buttercream and fondant cakes? thanks in advance...would be a big help for a newbie like me.

11 replies
xstitcher Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:15am
post #2 of 12

I don't sell cakes as I only make cakes for my family but even if I did I don't know whether my price list or anyone else's for that matter would help you out as location would be a key factor on the prices people charge. What I would suggest you do is either lookup various cake bakeries in your area and find out what they charge and do something comparable to theirs or if you let us know where you are located someone in the area may be able to help you out.

xstitcher Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:17am
post #3 of 12

I don't sell cakes as I only make cakes for my family but even if I did I don't know whether my price list or anyone else's for that matter would help you out as location would be a key factor on the prices people charge. What I would suggest you do is either lookup various cake bakeries in your area and find out what they charge and do something comparable to theirs or if you let us know where you are located someone in the area may be able to help you out.

cylstrial Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:26am
post #4 of 12

It's true, you're going to have to check your market out and then we can help you. Go to a local custom bakery and see how much they charge for a basic slice of buttercream and a basic slice of fondant.

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #5 of 12

My pricing is posted right on my website. I have flat pricing so a bride can pretty much figure out to the penny what it's going to cost her.

aligotmatt Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

It's true, you're going to have to check your market out and then we can help you. Go to a local custom bakery and see how much they charge for a basic slice of buttercream and a basic slice of fondant.




To clarify, *custom bakery* is the key term in this sentence.

In the case of our town, there was a bakery you could go to and pick cakes 1-30 out of a book and it was $2.50 per serving. BUT if you wanted to sit down and design a cake, or bring in a picture for them to replicate, it automatically went to $5 per serving.

Make sure you compare apples to apples.

joimer Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #7 of 12

thank u very much!

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:47am
post #8 of 12

I don't have set pricing, and even if I did, it wouldn't go anywhere near my website. Too confusing and probably causes people to either think, oh crap! I can't afford that! Or, oh yay! I can get my Lambeth-drop string-stenciled-GP rose covered cake for $3.00 a serving. Nuh-uh. There are maybe 2 cakes I have ever done that I priced the same way.

That said, I do have a "can be as low as figure, and a most range in the $ to $ price per serving" I'm sure that isn't even a good idea..(((sigh))) icon_biggrin.gif

aligotmatt Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I don't have set pricing, and even if I did, it wouldn't go anywhere near my website. Too confusing and probably causes people to either think, oh crap! I can't afford that! Or, oh yay! I can get my Lambeth-drop string-stenciled-GP rose covered cake for $3.00 a serving. Nuh-uh. There are maybe 2 cakes I have ever done that I priced the same way.

That said, I do have a "can be as low as figure, and a most range in the $ to $ price per serving" I'm sure that isn't even a good idea..(((sigh))) icon_biggrin.gif




I have a writer lady that I contract with sometime, I can give her what I've written and she reads it and re-writes it so it sounds more professional and effective... when I was having my new website made, I sent her all my info and she told me not to have pricing on my website, ever. That I should have call or schedule an appointment to discuss pricing. She said that by putting my prices out there it gives my competition room to underbid me, and also it gives potential customers the opportunity to write me off before talking to me.

I told her thank you, but still put prices on my site. I am a one woman show and do not have time to take all of the phone calls that my site gets hits, nor do I have time to make that many cakes! I'm glad it whittles down some possible grocery store bakery shoppers... and I figure my competition can underbid me once I give the bride a quote at the consultation, and they have! Prices on my website did not effect that...

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I have a writer lady that I contract with sometime, I can give her what I've written and she reads it and re-writes it so it sounds more professional and effective... when I was having my new website made, I sent her all my info and she told me not to have pricing on my website, ever. That I should have call or schedule an appointment to discuss pricing. She said that by putting my prices out there it gives my competition room to underbid me, and also it gives potential customers the opportunity to write me off before talking to me.

I told her thank you, but still put prices on my site. I am a one woman show and do not have time to take all of the phone calls that my site gets hits, nor do I have time to make that many cakes! I'm glad it whittles down some possible grocery store bakery shoppers... and I figure my competition can underbid me once I give the bride a quote at the consultation, and they have! Prices on my website did not effect that...




AMEN! If they can't afford you with your prices on yoru site, then they can't afford you when they call.

The idea of "make the appt and THEN schmooze 'em with pricing info" is archaic used car salesmen mentality.

Brides have told me if there is no pricing on a website they click out ad move on. You think you're forcing them to call. They're not calling. You think you're going to lose the sale if you put pricing on there. You're losing hte sale with NO pricing on there.

A range is good. It at least gives them an idea.

My website is a prequalifier. If they see my pricing and determine they can afford me, then half the sale is already done. If they can't afford me, then they are not wasting my time.

aligotmatt Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 12

Totally agree Debi! They look at my work, look at prices, then schedule a meeting, I book 95% of the people I meet with, and I think it's because they are already sold.

indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Totally agree Debi! They look at my work, look at prices, then schedule a meeting, I book 95% of the people I meet with, and I think it's because they are already sold.




My booking rate falls in there, too. Hubby works at a (GM) dealership and says when he shares my booking rate with the sales staff there, it's fun to watch their mouths hit the floor. They would KILL to have my booking rate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%