3 Tiers..how Long Does It Take You To Do?

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm by JenniferMI

nowi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nowi Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #61 of 86

i think unlimited is able to do such icing and decorating thing in the matter of minutes or seconds as she told us. anyway, she has been doing it for 37 years and has been very good at doing it with buttercream. i mean 37 years...wow!!! she could really have mastered it and has discovered ways or tricks to make the work a lot easier and faster. imo.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #62 of 86

i personally do not believe, that perfection can be created in 30 seconds flat. simple as that.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #63 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

So I'm curious.

How long does it (or should it) take to:

1. Ice and stack a 3 tier buttercream (not including additional decorations)

2. Ice, fondant and stack a 3 tier fondant cake

When you get good at it.

What??? Are all of these replies serious? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think perhaps everyone misunderstood the question(s) or included additional information. Since you didn't ask to include decorating time (baking time, or mixing icing time), to complete...

1. Ice and stack a 3 tier buttercream
(including a support system!)
(regardless of what typical 3 sizes)
(using the most primitive tools & equipment)

it shouldn't take any longer than 20-30 minutes for a newbie with very little experience unless they just like playing with the icing.

I think unlimited is very talented and extrordinary! I think the problem lies on how she replied. Reminds me of an old school teacher that used to whack us with a ruler if we weren't paying attention! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 2:10pm
post #64 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinygoose

So I'm curious.

How long does it (or should it) take to:

1. Ice and stack a 3 tier buttercream (not including additional decorations)

2. Ice, fondant and stack a 3 tier fondant cake

When you get good at it.

What??? Are all of these replies serious? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think perhaps everyone misunderstood the question(s) or included additional information. Since you didn't ask to include decorating time (baking time, or mixing icing time), to complete...

1. Ice and stack a 3 tier buttercream
(including a support system!)
(regardless of what typical 3 sizes)
(using the most primitive tools & equipment)

it shouldn't take any longer than 20-30 minutes for a newbie with very little experience unless they just like playing with the icing.

I think unlimited is very talented and extrordinary! I think the problem lies on how she replied. Reminds me of an old school teacher that used to whack us with a ruler if we weren't paying attention! icon_smile.gif

There's more to this than she's telling us, too...I'm still waiting for a description of this special equipment that's being used to ice the cakes that fast. It sounds like she works in a high-production kitchen with a lot of specialized equipment to make everything go faster. That's fine, but I still stand by my point earlier that you can't compare that to how most people ice a cake under "normal" circumstances. It's not an accurate comparison.

I also totally understand if she doesn't want to tell or show us how the speed-icing is done, if that's a trade secret. I agree that it was the original way the idea of "anyone should be able to do it this fast" was presented that set this off. We're curious, but it's also not fair to expect everyone to be able to do on their own what someone can do with special equipment.

Lisa540 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa540 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:39pm
post #65 of 86

Throwing my unsolicited two cents in here....

Unlimited- 30 seconds very impressive...cakes in her profile pictures not so much. I mean look ok but looks like what I can do. And thats not sayting too much. LOL

Sugarshack (and many others that I don't remember names) takes 3 hours. Cakes are stunningly BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT!!!

Weighing the facts here. I would prefer Sugarshacks 100 to 1 over Unlimiteds.

And the attitude that Unlimited diplayed pisses me off. I hate people that think they are better than someone else. No, those words were not used but they were damn well meant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:48pm
post #66 of 86

2-3 hours.

Jen icon_smile.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:19pm
post #67 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa540

Throwing my unsolicited two cents in here....

Unlimited- 30 seconds very impressive...cakes in her profile pictures not so much. I mean look ok but looks like what I can do. And thats not sayting too much. LOL

Sugarshack (and many others that I don't remember names) takes 3 hours. Cakes are stunningly BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT!!!

Weighing the facts here. I would prefer Sugarshacks 100 to 1 over Unlimiteds.

And the attitude that Unlimited diplayed pisses me off. I hate people that think they are better than someone else. No, those words were not used but they were damn well meant.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I think that was a little uncalled for! I don't think that anyone here should be demeaning of other people's cakes.... If someone said that about my (terribly unprofessional looking) cakes, I would run away from my computer screaming and crying!

Geez....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #68 of 86

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the cake pictures, I thought that the scarecrow cake was cute, and I liked the idea of doing it two different ways to see how it looks different using different methods. I'm still interested in the "how" of the fast-icing (yes, I'll keep harping on this) and the only thing that I noticed is that the icing on the piano cake was really thick, so maybe that has something to do with the method she uses. I don't put my icing on that thick, so does that have any effect on how long it would take? Probably, since the thicker you put the icing on, the less you'll need a crumb coat or anything to make sure it doesn't show through the icing.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #69 of 86

I'm sorry...I don't mean to laugh at anyone, but the link about the machine icing cakes titled "Unlimited icing a cake" or whatever it said, made me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes....I fully expected to see a person actually doing the icing.....BTW...where can I get one of those machines??? I want one!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

ajjhmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajjhmf Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #70 of 86

I'm still pretty new at this so it takes me some time. I'm trying different methods and icings as I go,. but on average it's taking me about 40-45 minutes to ice after the crumb coat. The rest all depends on how it is decorated.

I did the Cornelli Lace cake in my pictures in about 6 hours total from putting the pan in the oven to sending it out the door. It was rushed and I wasn't happy with the smoothness of the frosting. My tiered cakes were done over a couple days, so I can't really say how much time it took. I just worked a little at a time taking breaks to care for the kids and so on.

And I do crumb coat just because I don't want to take the chance of getting crumbs in my icing. Plus, I think it keeps the cakes fresher while I'm waiting for them to settle after filling. My instructor can ice without it, but she's been at this for 30 years.

Like I said, I'm still really new at this and learning.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #71 of 86

I can torte, fill, ganache,set, smooth, fondant and stack 3 tiers in about 3-4 hours with the help of refrigeration of course. I've only been decorating for about 4.5 months so I don't think I am that bad.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #72 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I can torte, fill, ganache,set, smooth, fondant and stack 3 tiers in about 3-4 hours with the help of refrigeration of course. I've only been decorating for about 4.5 months so I don't think I am that bad.

WOW. You are way better than me! thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #73 of 86
Quote:

sugarshack Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #74 of 86
Quote:

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #75 of 86

I think the majority of it comes down to which tools you've got to make use of.

I started seriously making cakes in February, right now a three tier to torte, fill, ice (no crumb coat, either in ganache or buttercream) and fondant takes between 2-3 hours. That's with Satin Ice fondant, and my ganache or buttercream already made.

It definitely helps that I've got a great turn table, the right spatulas, and I know to use a bench scraper to get the icing smooth (thanks Edna!). Also I've got a heavy marble rolling pin that makes rolling out the fondant very easy and quick.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:46pm
post #76 of 86

Just completed one this very night, had a helper but she is a beginner and is being taught as we go along(she is completely new at this), I have been decorating for a couple of years and tonight's cake took 3 1/2 hours. This included leveling, crumb coating, icing, stacking, cornelli lace and gum paste calla lilies as the decorations. Oh forgot to say this was a BC iced cake. HTH princess.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #77 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:

Of course NOT, Sharon. YOU are WAY BETTER than me icon_biggrin.gif.

Isn't it possible to do it in 3-4 hours? I find that ganache is easier to work with and easier to smooth compared to buttercream. I usually just slap the filling from the bowl with a spatula, coat with ganache (it smooths easily) and let it set in the fridge. If I were to decorate, then that would take a long time--I always have problems.

Btw, I want to THANK YOU for all your tips with ganache. You were the first person I asked all about it. THANKS SHARON!

sugarshack Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:31am
post #78 of 86

As previously stated; I am insanley, stupidly, mind-numbingly slow. LOL

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I am sure others could do it 3-4 hours but my old tired bones don't move so fast these days. I take a lot of breaks too....haha

sugarshack Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 7:32am
post #79 of 86

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I am sure others could do it 3-4 hours but my old tired bones don't move so fast these days. I take a lot of breaks too....haha

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #80 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

In my world this is called perfection!...Somedays I wish I could take the time with each cake to make them perfect.

Edna icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:20pm
post #81 of 86
Quote:
Quote:

If any of you want to read all of my previous postings, you'll find that I've NEVER asked a question, but have only offered help and advice to those asking for it here. I think I should take the high road now, and not comment any further. Thank you.

Being made to feel inadequate if you can't stack athree tier cake in 3 minutes (Is there a way to do it slower?) is the kind of help and advice I can do without.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:18pm
post #82 of 86

I need to work on my speed... a 3 tier cake takes me 3-4 DAYS!!!!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #83 of 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmoral

I need to work on my speed... a 3 tier cake takes me 3-4 DAYS!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif Don't feel bad!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #84 of 86

I must admit that I take "forever" and a day. (or more) icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 10:21am
post #85 of 86

Despite everything siad in this thread I'm glad the op started it. It has made me realize I need to push myslef. I think being a home baker I let things distract me while decorating (the tv,phone,couch ). I have a three tier coming up in 2 weeks. All decos will be premade so I'm setting a goal of 2hrs to fill,coat,fondant and apply decos. Wish me luck.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #86 of 86

Personally, I don't think the time taken is important, as long as YOU are happy with the results. We are our own worst critics. The clock won't make you do work like you aspire to do. But, with that being said, you do have to be fast enough to make $$$ at it as well.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%