How Do You Get Smooth Ganache Before Applying The Fondant?

Decorating By yummum2 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 3:58am by yummum2

yummum2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 7

I'm just new to this forum and cake decorating, but after spending hours and hours trying to find the answer on how to get a smooth finish on my cake with ganache so the fondant is then perfectly smooth, i'd thought i'd ask here icon_biggrin.gif

Soooooo, this is what i want to know.... i want to cover my cake in ganache 1st, i must have this super smooth so when i cover it in fondant, i don't get the bumps underneath.

I have tried and tried, but the lumps always end up showing (not terrible, but i notice it)
I have a smoother for the fondant which does help, but i want it to look perfectly smooth. I usually wait til the ganache has hardened up a bit, because otherwise it just runs down the sides which doesn't help getting the cake sides smooth.

Can anyone help??

6 replies
FlourPots Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 7

You should chill your ganached cake, then use a thin metal spatula that has been dipped in boiling water (and quickly wiped dry), to smooth the chocolate.
The heat helps to slightly melt the surface so you're able to get a nice finish.

Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 7

Exactly what flourpots says. Oh an it doesn't necessarily have to be super super perfect smooth.

Bunsen Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 7

Sounds like you are using a poured ganache? For under fondant you need a set ganache (2:1 choc to cream ration for dark choc, 3:1 ratio for white choc) Let it set up over night (consistency should be like peanut butter) then spread thickly on your cake - to get it perfect you put the cake on a board slightly bigger than the cake (if you bake in an 8" tin use an 8" board as this will be slightly bigger than the cake) and put on enough ganache to come to the edge of the board. Then use a metal bench scraper, heated up in water then dried, put the scraper up against the board at a 90 degree angle and use the board as a guide to remove the excess ganache - gives you a perfect surface. Hope that makes sense - there are a couple of threads that go into ganache in detail - I'll try and find them.

thecarouselcloset Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 7

i used ganache with a square cake, I made the edges very pointy, to get that flawless look, wll i guess i did it too much because it tore my fondant with the corners so beware....

yummum2 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 7

Thank you sooo much, THIS is the answer i have been looking for!! thumbs_up.gif
I will definately be trying that on my next cake!
I will check out those links also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%