Which Stencils?

Decorating By kathyw Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm by CookieO

kathyw Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 5

To everyone who stencils.....Do you use designer cake stencils or do standard craft stencils work just as well? I understand that the cake stencils are thicker. Does that make a difference? Thanks.

4 replies
ptanyer Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 5

I have only purchased one cake stencil. One of the tiny connections tore as I was cleaning it during the cake decorating and now is useless. $10.95 down the drain. I don't think that the stencil was any thicker than what I can find in the stencil section at any hobby store.

Now I cut gumpaste/fondant with my Cricut and apply it to the cake instead of trying to stencil it on. Cleaner and much easier to do, IMHO.

kathyw Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your response. I'm starting to hear lots of horror stories about stenciling. I would love to hear from more of you out there.

lauritasolorzano Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

I have used several times the culinary stencils, which are the same as the designer stencils. And I haven't had any problems with it. You just have to be careful when cleaning it.

Laura

CookieO Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 5

I tried using a regular craft store stencil the other day, it was too thick/too stiff to easily manipulate around a round cake without causing marks, even on crusted BC. Although I am still just learning the whole cake decorating thing so I was probably not doing it correctly. But this was my experience with a regular craft store stencil so far. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%