Help,anyone Opened A Bakery That Didn't Need Construction

Business By kakethings Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm by 4Gifts4Lisa

kakethings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakethings Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 2

I'm looking at getting in to this bakery, all I need to do is put equipment back in. A cake business just moved out, going back to her old building she was completing some construction after Katrina. This is a 1200 square feet building, I thought it would be great to jump on it. This is my first time opening a bakery, what do I need to do next? From this point how long do you think it will take me to get opened?

1 reply
4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 2

How much business do you expect to do...bakery offerings or custom cakes?

I am renting a 1000 sq ft place; I do have a commercial kitchen but my business is primarily retail and classes. I needed the kitchen so I could bake the goods for the classes/parties. I also do LIMITED custom orders. So with that in mind, I.....

1. Rented the space
2. Business license/EIN/insurance
3. Bought oven from craigslist (1/2 size convection, $500)
4. Bought smallest fridge that was NSF ($600 with shipping)-it holds the sour cream, butter, eggs
5. Bought handwashing sink and food prep sink (about $250, Sam's club)
6. Already had 3 compartment sink, but paid plumber to install other 2 sinks and fix the 3 compartment...air gap wasn't big enough ($500)

7. Bought Baker's Rack from Craigslist-$50
8. Made do with my kitchenaids for awhile (I purchased a few for classes), but JUST bought a 10 qt ($1100 with shipping or might have had free shipping...my total was $1100).
9. I had to put in flooring...small space...went cheap...$900
10. Health dept inspection and license...$350 (I actually had health dept do a walk through PRIOR, then write up what needed to be done. I also ran the equipment by him before I purchased it, to make sure it would all be up to code. My guy is super-great, though icon_smile.gif )

My space has always been used for some sort of food service, so, like your potential place, all the "bones" were there, which GREATLY helps with the cost. Also, since I just bake cakes/cookies, I do not need an expensive hood.

Good luck with your decision...HTH! PM me if you want any other info or if I left anything out. I am pretty free with numbers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%