How Far In Advance Can You Make Tuxedo Strawberries? Help

Decorating By penster1 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm by Peridot

penster1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penster1 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make a soccer ball grooms cake for next Friday, and that seems so plane so I stole an Idea from VAcakelady to surround the base of the cake with tuxedo strawberries. The problem that arrases are how far in advance can I make them? (the morning of the weeding?) and in this 95 degree weather do you think I could transport them to the church in a small ice chest or would that make them sweat?

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

You're definitely going to have to make them the morning of the wedding. They have a very short life.

How long is the drive? Cause if they are in the ice chest for too long they will sweat.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 5

They will definately sweat being in the cooler and then taking them out into a warm room. Because you have some time - I would make a couple and see how long you have before they start to give you a problem. When I did them - I let them set for a good while and next thing I knew - the juice from the berries started oozing out of the chocolate that formed around the strawberry. This gave me a definate window time frame for me to work in and still be happy with the results. You don't want to be questioning food products.
Your climate will play a big factor so a little pre-test would be good for you to do (and you get to eat them afterwards too-yum)!
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 5

Your best bet is to work with room temperature strawberries and don't refrigerate them. Whole strawberries will be FINE without refrigeration, as long as they're kept relatively cool. The problem with chocolate covered strawberries starts with refrigeration. The berries will still start to weep, eventually, but you'll get more time out of them if they are room temp to start and you don't chill them. Do a trial run and you'll see for yourself.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 5

I made 5 dozen chocolate covered strawberries for a family event a month ago. Have never done chocolate covered strawbwerries before so I did not know what to expect. I did read on CC that you should not refrigerate.

I had picked them fresh the day before (Friday), kept them at room temepature and I did them at 7:30 pm on Saturday night. Laid them on a tray covered with parchment paper and then put the whole tray in a loosely covered box overnight.

Drove two hours with a decorated fondant cake and the berries in the box on Sunday and yes it was hot outside. Had the AC going in the van. Arrived at 11 am and the berries were just starting to weep a teeny tiny bit that morning. So I was quite happy with the results. They tasted great and were gone in no time.

I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%