Need Help W/a Wedding Cake This Weekend And Seperator Plates

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm by auntmamie

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 7

So I am doing a wedding cake this weekend. It is a 3 tier 12, 8, 6 with seperator plates.

My dilemna is which size plates to use? My first thought was to use the same size plate at the cake, but realized that might not leave much room for deco'ing.

So then I was going to use a 8" for my 6" and a 10" for my 8" but then the 8" cake will have a plate the same size as the cake.

Any thoughts or rec's would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 7

If it helps, I think most people use the same size. So if you're making a 6, 8, 12. I would use a 6, 8, 12.

What kind of separator plate system are you using?

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 7

I wanted to use the smooth edge wilton plates, but you have to order the 6" online, and I don't have time for that. They don't sell them in any of the stores around here. So I had to switch to the scalloped edge wilton plate, which I don't care for, but have no choice.

Any tips would be helpful!! Thanks for your response!

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 7

I wanted to use the smooth edge wilton plates, but you have to order the 6" online, and I don't have time for that. They don't sell them in any of the stores around here. So I had to switch to the scalloped edge wilton plate, which I don't care for, but have no choice.

Any tips would be helpful!! Thanks for your response!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 7

Oh well if you're going to use the scalloped edge, you probably want to leave the edge out a little bit. So I would probably go one size bigger. Put the 6 inch on an 8 inch. Put a big layer of frosting on there to take up a bunch of room. And then leave a little room for the scallop to show.

Hope this helps.

Heavenlydelights107 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thats what I thought, but the next layer is a 8", I would have to put that 8" plate right on top of the 8" cake. That is where I am worried. You will see no cake on the 8" under the plate. Urgggg.....

I may have to change the size of the cake due to my own error.

This would be fine for a stacked construction, but seeing as there are plates & pillars in the middle, it will not work.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 7

Are you using the two plate and pillar method? So you'll have a 6" cake on an 8" board, 4" pillars, 8" board, 8" cake, 10" board, 4" pillars, 10" board, 12" cake? If so, then yes, you will have a 8" board on the 8" cake. No way around it. Unless, can you switch to push in pillars? Then you wouldn't have a plate on top of the 8" or 10" cakes, and would only need to buy 2 boards (6" and 8").

Two plate and pillar method: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/separator-plate-cake-construction.cfm

Push in pillar method: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/push-in-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%