So I Can't Just Use A Regular Cake Recipe, Eh?

Baking By anricat Updated 3 Apr 2014 , 6:04pm by cakes-more

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 34

I have an awesome chocolate cake recipe I've been making lately and I thought perhaps I'd make some cupcakes with it.

Uhhh. They all fell in the center. What happened?

In the end, it work out. I made lemons out of my lemonade and put a dollop of ganache on each to fill the holes before topping them with buttercream. The ganache really made them and they were seriously the hit of the party. I might actually do it again and let them fall so I can put ganache in there again.

However, I'm still curious what's up and how I can avoid it with other recipes in the future.

33 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 34

Oh man, my favorite cake recipe, does not work worth a poo when I try to make cupcakes. Drives me nuts! Pulls away from the liner, and just looks ugly. The only way they turn out, is if I overfill the liners, and they crust up around the edge. No! I don't like that!

Ok, sorry, I didn't offer any help, but I know what you're talking about! icon_sad.gif

anricat Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 34

Oh, some of mine pulled away from the liner as well. Very frustrating!

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 34

try putting the batter in the fridge for a few before filling the pan

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 34

I've got nuthin'... I never knew there was a difference between cake batters and cupcake batters til I found CC. I just throw whatever recipe I want into my liners and I've never had anything sink.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers

I've got nuthin'... I never knew there was a difference between cake batters and cupcake batters til I found CC. I just throw whatever recipe I want into my liners and I've never had anything sink.

Me too...It does help to bake cupcakes at 350 instead of 325 though.

anricat Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 34

Yup, I baked these @ 350.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 34

Aha! Ok...I'll start cranking up my cupcake heat. I've been putting them in with the regular cakes. Tsk tsk! icon_biggrin.gif

Clovers Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 34

Jamie, you put your cupcakes in at the same time as your cakes??

That might be why. I bake mine anywhere between 325 and 350, but never with anything other than other cupcake trays.. maybe that's why?

anricat Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 34

I baked mine alone. Just cupcakes. 350.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 34

That could be Clovers! See, I am clueless about cupcakes! I haven't ever felt like taking an order for them cause I'm not confident enough with them. Now cake...noooooo problem!

But thanks for the tip! Makes sense, and from now on, I will do it the right way!

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 34

That could be Clovers! See, I am clueless about cupcakes! I haven't ever felt like taking an order for them cause I'm not confident enough with them. Now cake...noooooo problem!

But thanks for the tip! Makes sense, and from now on, I will do it the right way!

Clovers Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 34

I'm the total opposite, cupcakes are my thing. My cakes NEVER come out how I want them to, I get great ideas and then find I really haven't learned the skills I need to decorate them so they come out to my 'vision'.

Better learn quickly though, since I have to make 3 cakes in the next month and I don't know what I'm doing!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #14 of 34

I made cupcakes tonight using the Cake Extender recipe with a box of Betty Crocker Devil's Food. I also followed the baking/temperature advice to get a domed cupcake. Worked & tasted great! icon_biggrin.gif

I think the "secret" is using butter instead of oil, but I have not fully tested that theory. icon_wink.gif

anricat Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #15 of 34

I don't use mix. I was using a scratch recipe.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:29am
post #16 of 34
Quote:

That might be why. I bake mine anywhere between 325 and 350, but never with anything other than other cupcake trays.. maybe that's why?

Educate me. Why would that make a difference?

I'm picturing a tray of cupcakes looking around and seeing pans of cakes surrounding them. The cupcakes get scared and start to cringe. Wham! Sinking cupcakes! icon_lol.gif

But back to the serious side .... all I know is my gramma didn't have two different recipes for cakes and cupcakes. Why is this suddenly a big deal? icon_confused.gif

flourpowerMN Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #17 of 34

My WASC recipe doesn't bake up as nicely in a cupcake as it does cake. But then again, I've been baking them at 325 to get a flatter top. They taste fine, but the tops seem "sticky" even though the cupcake itself is baked.

The ones I did last night with a 400 degree oven turned down to 350 turned out fine.

Clovers Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I'm picturing a tray of cupcakes looking around and seeing pans of cakes surrounding them. The cupcakes get scared and start to cringe. Wham! Sinking cupcakes! icon_lol.gif

But back to the serious side .... all I know is my gramma didn't have two different recipes for cakes and cupcakes. Why is this suddenly a big deal? icon_confused.gif

Oh I have no idea. It might not make any difference, but I was just saying that I don't mix the two. Who knows, strange things happen....

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #19 of 34

Indydebi--I love your sense of humor icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:02pm
post #20 of 34

I usually don't have any problems with making any cake mix into a cupcake. I do bake at 325 to get a flat top also if the decorating requires more of a flat top then dome. I have found what works for me for keeping the liners from pulling away is to take the cupcakes out of the pan immediately after I pull them from the oven. I pop them out and then place them on a cooling rack. This prevents any moisture from the steam from getting trapped around the liner - which is in my experience what causes the liners to pull away....I don't know if it's scientific or not - just what has worked best for me!

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:50pm
post #21 of 34

I don't use different recipes for my cakes and cupcakes. When I use the WASC recipe I noticed that when I make an 8in or smaller cake including cupcakes I must bake them at 350 vs the instructions at 325 otherwise these sizes do sink in on me. Not sure why. However, for 10 in or larger I do bake them at 325 and they come out fine. I think the smaller the cake the quicker it needs to bake??? That is what I am noticing anyway, lol. HTH.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #22 of 34

I don't use different recipes for my cakes and cupcakes. When I use the WASC recipe I noticed that when I make an 8in or smaller cake including cupcakes I must bake them at 350 vs the instructions at 325 otherwise these sizes do sink in on me. Not sure why. However, for 10 in or larger I do bake them at 325 and they come out fine. I think the smaller the cake the quicker it needs to bake??? That is what I am noticing anyway, lol. HTH.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #23 of 34

Gosh. Cupcakes never seemed to be "hard" until they became gourmet! icon_biggrin.gif A couple of things come to mind regarding why the cupcakes might have fallen in the center. A) Underbaked. Cupcakes take anywhere from 18-22 minutes in a 350 degree oven. If you take them out at the 18 minute mark and assume they were properly baked, they might have actually needed a few more minutes. I have found that's one of the first reasons they will fall. Cupcakes can be tested the same way as a cake (toothpick in center) and returned to continue baking if the toothpick comes out wet. B) Overbeating. Small batters really should never be mixed in a stand-type mixer. (Now, I know many, many will disagree stating they have excellent results mixing batters with a stand mixer.) Stand mixers tend to overbeat if one is not extremely careful about the speed in which they are mixing.
Anyway, for the OP, It shouldn't matter that you used a cake recipe for cupcakes. Any batter should work. I'm glad your cupcakes turned out great in the end --your solution was one of those "light bulb" moments that turned out better than one could even possibly imagine!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Oh I have no idea. It might not make any difference, but I was just saying that I don't mix the two. Who knows, strange things happen....

The last time I put two cupcake tins into the oven, when I took them out they looked like the wind had been blowing in there! They were all high on one side and low on the other. I think it was because there wasn't enough open space for the heat to distribute itself right. Either that or the one pan was jealous of the other. icon_lol.gif

flourpowerMN Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #25 of 34

Win...I agree with you on the small batters in a stand mixer. 2 minutes in a stand mixer is like 4-6 minutes with a hand mixer so you have to be careful. Same goes when you're whipping cream...don't walk away!

Ruth...next time, tap your cupcake pan a couple of times on the counter before putting it in the oven. This happened to me last night (uneven cupcakes) and I'm 99.9% sure that it was because the batter was uneven in the liners when I put it in. If that doesn't work, then you have gremlins in your oven. icon_wink.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #26 of 34

Funny funny funny.... I really don't have anything to add but just thought tha I would say I find this thread humorous.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #27 of 34

Yep, it must be gremlins. Knowing my crappy oven that runs 15 degrees cool, I wouldn't be surprised.

They weren't uneven in the papers. Seriously, I think it was the uneven heat distribution.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #28 of 34

Ruth, I've had the same problem and I figured out that it was indeed uneven heat distribution . I put my cc pans in at 325 for 14 minutes and then switch their places for the remainder of the baking time to avoid unevenness (that can't possibly be a real word) and pan jealousy.

blu_canary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blu_canary Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

pan jealousy

*LMAO* I'm thinking of ditching decorating and becoming a professional cake whisperer. Y'know, sit outside the oven where the cakes are baking and letting all the pans know they are loved equally and urging them to produce perfect cakes.

Anyone interested in hiring me? My fees are reasonable. icon_biggrin.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #30 of 34

I learned from over on teh cupcake board to turn your oven up to 400. Preheat it to 400 then right before you put your cupcakes in, turn it down to 350. Works great for me - have nice, beautiful domes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%