Cupcakes Help Please Asap

Baking By biviana Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 3:55am by JanH

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there.

I have to make 60 cupcakes for saturday morning, and I have never done cupcake before. Fist of all can I bake them today and they will be fresh for Saturday morning?
I just baked some and they come out plain. It is the recipe that I always use for baking, and my cakes are always fine. The cupcakes came out as the regular cake. almost flat.
Some were over filled and spread to the sides but not to up.
Is this normal or is my recipe? They are flat and the butter is bigget that the cupcake size, so I had to take those part off.

Please any advice would help me. I just want to cry now. what should I do?

Also I am planning on putting some filling on them. I just got a set at Michaels for that, but I am not sure if I should put the filling as soon as they come out of the oven, or when they are already cold.

Help please.

thanks o much in advance.
B.

3 replies
Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 4

Cupcakes go stale very quickly, so try to do them as close to the time they are needed as possible. I just had to do some for someone who was traveling with them and would not be eating them for 2 days, and I brushed the tops of the cupcakes with simple syrup to help with moisture.

I think you are saying that your cupcakes are flat on top instead of doming. That's actually the look that I think a lot of decorators prefer. A dome is usually only wanted if you need to see the rounded part. I prefer a flat cupcake so that my swirl is even, or my fondant is flat, etc. If you are getting spreading out the edges, then it's been over filled. If you want a domed cupcake, you may want to try other recipes, as some cakes dome better than others. You also can try a hotter oven - lowering the temp makes for even rising, raising the temp makes for more doming.

I'm not sure what set for filling you mean - just a piping bag with a tip will fill cupcakes fine. You want to fill them when they have cooled down.

Hope that helps a little!

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much. flat would be fine, I wasn't sure if that was OK.

The question now is that they look overfilled, so the batter went to the sides on the cupcake so that part is hard na dI ttok it off. When I did this, there is alot of crubs on the sides. should I do my swirls starting on the outside so I can cover the crumbs? or should I do a crumb coat as you do it in a cake?

Thanks so much again.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%