Black Royal Icing????

Decorating By noosie Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm by Larkin121

noosie Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 4

I have seen some beautifully stenciled cakes and am planning on making one for my SIL's engagement party in a few weeks. I've never stenciled before so I am both excited and nervous! My question is, how do you get black royal icing??? Does anyone have a recipe that will not cause black tongues when eaten?? Is it sold ready made anywhere? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
CanadianCakin Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

Any time I've done black I've just used gel colours...if there is another way I would love to know too

cake-angel Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 4

From everything I have read and seen -- you need to make black using gel colors. You won't be able to avoid the colored tongues. Ameri Color works great for those dark colors.

Larkin121 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 4

I just did a stenciled cake with black royal icing, and my only warning is that I had to use two full bottles of black Wilton color to get it truly black. My mistake was that I got the icing to the proper consistency FIRST, then added the black. By the time I had gotten it true black, it was thinner than it needed to be to do the stenciling well. But if I added more sugar, it was grey again. So you might want to make it a little stiffer and let the black do the thinning for you.

Also, it stains horribly. My counters have permanent purple spots now where little bits of dry icing landed as I moved the cakes, and it stained my dress as I barely brushed against it while loading it in the car, so do be careful with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%