General Questions From A Complete Newbie

Decorating By ohayr639 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm by loriana

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 5

So I am very new to the making cakes thing and to Cake Central and I had a few questions that I can't find in the forums.
1. Is it wrong to look at pictures on here and try to make them myself, I would not tell people that I created them on my own?
2. Does anyone know the rules for selling cakes in Colorado or the process for getting a license?
3. Does anyone know if I can write off my cake supplies on my taxes if I am not licensed to sell cakes?

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 5

I can answer #1, yes it is okay to try to make the cakes in the galleries, just be sure to give credit to the original poster.

I don't know anything about #2

#3, you can not write off your supplies unless you become a legitimate business. The IRS does not allow expense write offs it your cake selling is a hobby...however, they still want you to report your receipts (good ole Uncle Same wants your cake and to eat it too!). If you are able to legally sell your cakes (either from your home or if you open a bakery) then yes, you can & should claim ALL expenses as well as receipts. Hope that helps....

ohayr639 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much!

ohayr639 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Ohayhr,

Welcome to Cake Central. Glad you got your questions answered. This is a good place for sharing ideas, pictures, recipes and more. Hope you are able to get something from here as well as share your beautiful creations. Talk to you later,

Loriana (Lisa) icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%