yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 13

???

12 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 13

They are those little silver balls that have been around for years. when I was a kid we used them to decorate christmas cookies. They now come in different colors.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 13

miniature jaw breaker that'll crack a tooth!

the cake decorator's version of a BB

a mess to pick up if dropped (did you see the episode of Ace of Cakes where Duff did just that with a whole big bag of them)

banned in CA.

4 pages of them to order: http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=72

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 13

i have been looking for them everywhere around here (my town) but aparently they don't sell them in texas anymore either

what size do you guys use the most? i need to order somet o have on hand

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 13

india tree dragees are actually soft on the inside so they end up like a marshmallow with an M&M type shell. I make sure to use them if I think they are going to be eaten like kids cakes) 4 Millimeters is the standard side, but I like to use 6 mm for cakes. 4 mm is really more "cookie" sized.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 13

Anyone know why they banned them?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Anyone know why they banned them?

I did a search and this is what I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag%C3%A9e

This is taken directly from the FDA's site:

"When small silver balls known as 'silver dragees' are sold exclusively for decorating cakes and are used under conditions which preclude their consumption as confectionery, they are not considered to be in the category of a food or confectionery."

Here's the link to the above:
http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/RegulatoryProcessHistoricalPerspectives/default.htm

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 13

I thought since the India Tree ones were supposed to be soft on the inside that maybe those would not be banned in California (where I live)...NOPE, they are banned too. Oh well, guess I'll never have one of those pretty, dragee cakes....*sigh*

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 13

Chef Rubber will sell you dragees in California. www.chefrubber.com

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 13

So I guess its because of the coloring they use?? Sounds kinda crazy to only ban it certain states if it does have stuff in it thats harmful to eat.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 13

The silver ones are not "edible" because of the silver on them. It is not considered food safe! All of the others are though. Which is what I was told when I recently went to a cake/candy supply shop to buy them specificaly for a wedding cake.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Chef Rubber will sell you dragees in California. www.chefrubber.com

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:48am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

So I guess its because of the coloring they use?? Sounds kinda crazy to only ban it certain states if it does have stuff in it thats harmful to eat.

It's not that the problem is with the coloring; it's that they use the actual metal --real SILVER-- to coat them. Some more info on this thread! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=645223&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0 including an explanation of why most companies (except chefrubber--yay!) won't sell them to California thumbs_up.gif and also how to make your own (double thumbs_up.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%