Pin Prick Method

Decorating By coopette Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 6:46am by madgeowens

coopette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coopette Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 8

Can anyone point me in the direction to any helpfull information on this method for getting pictures onto my cake? Thanks in advance thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 8

Basically you use the pin to mark all the lines of your picture onto your cake. When you are done it looks like a dot to dot. You basically pipe over the dots the pin has made to create your picture. Alternatively you can place a piece of waxed paper or parchment over your picture and pipe over all the lines with a little piping gel and then flip over and position on cake. Use a soft bristled brush to lightly go ver all the lines so that the gel will slightly adher to the cake. Gently peel paper off the cake and then start piping over the gel. This works best on crusting buttercream or fondant.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 8

Cake-Angel gave good directions. I would only add that I use a large piece of styrofoam under the picture while I'm poking the holes into it. Then after placing the design on the cake, I take a soft brush and a tiny bit of cocoa and brush that GENTLY thru the holes, making sure I don't get it anywhere but on the holes. Careful lifting off the design, or the extra cocoa could ruin the top of your cake. I've only tried this on buttercream, not fondant. I think the piping gel method would work better on fondant. Good luck!

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 6:37am
post #4 of 8

I used the piping gel technique on the buttercream my Little Pony cake in my photos.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:04am
post #5 of 8

am I reading this correctly...one of you are putting dots onto the cake thru the picture,, and the other person is putting the picture on styrofoam and pricking holes in the picture then transfer the picture to the cake and dust the holes with cocoa, is that right? lol I was never good with directions, you need to break it down to pebble level for me.

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 7:49am
post #6 of 8

not sure if this would help but this is how i do mine
first i print out the image (has to be the exact size you want it to be on the cake)
then i put the paper on a thick towel then just start poking the lines with a toothpick until they can be seen if imprinted on crusting buttercream. then once the BC has crusted i take the pict with holes on it put the textured side down and smooth with a fondant smother till imprint is left (when finished with poking the paper it will kinda look like braille)

jewelzbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelzbakescakes Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 8

For the My Little Pony one I bought a coloring book, ripped out a page that I liked, taped parchment paper over the page, used piping gel (tinted pink) to outline the design on the parchment paper, and then flipped over the parchment paper onto the cake and traced over the design with my finger so it would transfer onto the iced cake. Then i outlined it and filled it in with buttercream.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 6:46am
post #8 of 8

those are both great I can hardly wait to try them thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%