Have You Seen/eaten Any That Weren't

Decorating By SuzyNoQ Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm by LNW

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 2

yours? I have had 2 cake disasters (looking back now I think they were)
1 was my wedding shower cake my husband's aunt made it and another aunt decorated it, it was a 1 inch deep 1/2 sheet and her oven wasn't level so when they frosted it they just leveled it with frosting it looked nice until the cut it, in some spots the frosting was almost 1/2 inch thick and in others it was just enough to cover the cake.

The other was about a month ago at my aunt's 50th b-day party, I am not sure who got it but it was a 1 inch deep sheet cake still in the pan, it looked nice but it was dry and not level, and the frosting was way too thick (imo) for the amount of cake under it.

Sorry no pics of either at this time

What are cake disasters you have seen but weren't at fault for?

1 reply
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 2

My husbands nephews graduation cake this year. I made the cake for his other nephews but this particular family we arent very close too so they didnt order from me. She bought the cake from a home baker, a not very experienced one from what I could tell. The cake was a white sheet cake. The icing job was horrific with big chunks of cake crumbs mixed in and the sides and edges of the cake showing through. The icing they used was delicious though, I have to give them credit for that. The cake was an undoctored mix. I had forgotten how disgusting those taste.

The decorator had written Congratulations Graduate 2009 in red icing on the top with a tip that was way too small. Then she had tried to put a shell border around the bottom but obviously didnt know how to do that because the shells looked more like smudges and the border was broken up where they had stopped it then started it up again but instead of shells they just smudged the icing on. It seriously looked like something my 7yo would do. Then they had rolled up two small pieces of paper and tied them closed with yarn to look like graduation scrolls and laid those on top of the cake. Except all the grease from the icing was absorbed into the paper so they look terrible.

I dont know how much the family paid for the cake but I hope it wasnt much. It looked awful and I felt really really bad for them because it was obvious a very untalented armature had produced this cake and they knew it. They kept telling everyone they needed to cut the cake so they could get it off the table. They were sick of looking at it.

I just pray that the person who made it doesn't post here icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%