Help With Fondant .....

Decorating By Ren29 Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 7:19am by Ren29

Ren29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren29 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:18am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone ...i'm still learning but i have a couple of questions ....i've checked the forum to see if there are any other posts on this, and could not find any ....any help/advice would be greatly appriciated icon_biggrin.gif
here i go ..
first ...how do you get the wet look on a finished fondant covered cake?
second....... to make a monogram cake topper, is it fondant or gumpaste? and do you insert wire to support?
third ....how do i attach gumpaste to fondant ?

thanks

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:27am
post #2 of 4

Some people steam fondant, to give it that patent leather look while others use some type of glaze.

As for the monogram topper, I suggest you use gumpaste, fondant with tylose or a mixture of fondant/gumpaste. Fondant alone will take forever to dry while gumpaste dries quicker. You may insert wires for support or use dowels/skewers/toothpick. Just remember to not insert the wire directly to the cake (unsafe), you can insert the wires inside coffee stirrers or some sort and then place it into the cake.

To attach gumpaste to fondant, I suggest you use tylose glue (dissolve tylose powder in water). There are many types of "glue" (piping gel, water, gumpaste dissolved in water, pasteurized egg whites, etc), what I suggested is just my personal preference. You can also use melted chocolate or royal icing to glue dry gumpaste to fondant.

Bella-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella-cakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 4

for a glaze on Fondant I have used clear corn syrup mixed with a alittle water to thin it, then just brush it on with a small paint brush, it worked for me on a golf bag cake it really made the fondant look like leather..HTH..

Ren29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren29 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:19am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Everyone for your reply's .........didn't even think about the wire in the cake icon_cry.gif ....good thing i asked before attempting ....thanks again everyone icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%