My First Cake Disaster

Decorating By DefyGravity Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm by DefyGravity

DefyGravity Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 3

I told a friend I would make birthday cakes for the 2 parties she was having for her daughter's 7th. The first one was the Camp Rock one I did, and the second one was supposed to be all BC because apparently fondant wasn't a big hit, lol. Everyone liked the way it looked, but nobody ate it.

I decided to do a frozen BC transfer of a cheerleader, then I could just slap on a border and call it a day. Oh, how wrong I was. I don't know if its because my icing was thin, or because I didn't grease my wax paper or what, but that darn BC was clinging to that wax paper for dear life. Everything was smearing around, and I was so mad, because I had zero backup plan and was quickly running out of time. Its totally my fault for not doing this a lot earlier or doing a practice run yesterday.

So, I started to panic. An hour and a half before deliver and I have a blank cake and NO idea how to decorate it. I'm not an artist, so I couldn't have just piped a cheerleader one. I ended up making a beach cake, which I felt bad about since I *just* made one last month for my mom's birthday. Then, I realized, I had a beach cake and absolutely nothing to put on it.

My husband called from Korea, and I always hate telling him I can't talk since he gets pretty lonely, but it was right in the middle of my crisis today, haha. I hopped in my car, hit up a party supply store (luckily they were having a store-wide clearance) and bought some luau decorations for it.

My friend said it was fine, but I could tell she just wanted something more, since everyone loved the Camp Rock cake so much.

Ugh icon_sad.gif Its not letting me attach a picture of the cake. I'll just stick it in my regular photo album.

2 replies
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 3

Sorry about your wreck! The cake is cute, but it does look like it is for a baby shower with the duck on it! It is not ugly, though. I don't know what I would have done either!

DefyGravity Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 3

The only thing I could find at the party store that would have been okay were the duck (who is wearing a lei and grass skirt) or a little tiki guy who was a shot glass. I decided it wouldn't be appropriate to give a 7 year old a shot glass, so I opted for the duck, haha. I wish they would have had a small hula girl I could have put on there!

She posted pictures from their first party on Facebook immediately and was going on and on about the cake. This one? No pictures yet. I sent her a message telling her I felt horrible and that I was going to make them brownies or cupcakes to make up for it, but she still hasn't responded yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%