Frozen Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By CAKEtankerous Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm by kikster

CAKEtankerous Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 15

OK, I want to do a diego cake for my friend's son birthday sat., I was going to do the character cake, but saw something called frozen buttercream transfer. I've only been doing cakes for the last few months. My question is, is this really difficult or is this something a newbie can do and it look good. Thanks for any help and tips you can give me. icon_smile.gif

14 replies
alvarezmom Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 15

I've been wanting to do one as well. I would think it is just like coloring.... icon_confused.gif Thanks for asking this question.

Did you see the tutorial about this?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 15

I do them frequently and it is simple but a little time consuming.Just make sure that you use a butter based buttercream recipe. There are others but I use the one that I posted the link to

Here is the article:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

Here is the buttercream recipe:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream_Icing_for_Frozen_Transfers.html

jdelaney81 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 15

I use a shortening based buttercream and it works just fine. You just need to let it freeze a little longer. But it is easy enough for a newbie to do...because if I could do it anyone can! icon_biggrin.gif The NY Yankees cake in my pics was my very first fbct.

Shelly4481 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 15

I also use the all shortening base, I do many of them and they always turn out. Remember to work fast with them, have your cake ready for the transfer and when you take it out of the freezer flip it over and on cake within a minute, it starts to thaw quickly and in the summer you don't want it to soften up. I also do my transfers on those report covers (the ones you slip a piece of paper in) wash and dry it first. Put a piece of cardboard under it to freeze on. The report cover is flexible and the transfer comes off easy and smooth. Plus I reuse it over and over.

jenna15 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 15

I just did my first FBCT yesterday.....it was a spur of the moment decision. I had never done one before and it came out quite nice and took me about 45 mins. I didn't think I could pull it off cuz it seemed hard but it was fairly easy and came out quite nice and I used a shortening based icing. I only had and hour to freeze. It worked out fine.

jenna15 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 15

I just did my first FBCT yesterday.....it was a spur of the moment decision. I had never done one before and it came out quite nice and took me about 45 mins. I didn't think I could pull it off cuz it seemed hard but it was fairly easy and came out quite nice and I used a shortening based icing. I only had and hour to freeze. It worked out fine.

CAKEtankerous Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 15

WOW Thanks guys for the replies. I'm encouraged to think I can pull this off. Did any of you use the wilton black or just made your own black for the outlining. Does the whole transfer have to be done all at th same time or can it be done in stages? I'll probably start it tonight to make sure there are no interrupitons. Keeping my fingers crossed. icon_smile.gif

JawdroppingCakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 15

Do you need to put bc under the transfer? I made a few a while ago and put them on the sides to look like camoflauge and they fell off of the cake. I had put buttercream on the cake but it had crusted so I put a little bit of buttercream behind the transfer and then stuck it on the sides of the cake but they completely fell off of the cake.

cookie_fun Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:33am
post #10 of 15

I tried one for the first time last year (it's the Wall-e cake in my photos) and it was far easier than I thought it would be.

I have done several since then, and sometimes I've needed to do them over the course of 2 days or so, without any problems.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Oh, and I've just used regular black colored BC.

tracey1970 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #11 of 15

Just a quick tip for doing FBCTs - use a piece of plexiglass to do it on. I have found this to be a life saver, and I have done several FBCTs. I tape my picture to the counter and cover it with a piece of plexiglass with either parchment or waxed paper taped to it. On the waxed/parchment paper, do the outline first and then fill in one colour at a time until complete. Why I LOVE the plexiglass is that during the filling in, you can from time to time, peek under the glass and make sure that there aren't any gaps, squiggles, etc., in the fill-in icing. If there are, I keep a cakes-only paint brush in hand and I use it to smooth out the squiggles by pushing around the icing from the back side. I keep peeking until I get it right (just be sure to line up the picture when you lay it back down, but once you have the general outline done, this becomes less of an issue). You can't do this kind of checking with a cookie sheet. I freeze the piece right on the plexiglass and you can re-use the plexiglass over and over. I buy mine at the local hardware store, where they have both pre-cut pieces and they can cut a piece to any size you want. I have found this to be the best way to avoid lines, squiggles, gaps, etc., in the final piece. Otherwise, you don't find out that your FBCT has those issues until you have flipped it onto the cake, and it's very tough to fix it then!

CAKEtankerous Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks Tracy,
I did read this somewhere. I'll be transferring it in a little bit. I'm so nervous about it, I keep postponing it. Silly me. I pray to God it works out good. Wish me luck. Will let everyone know how it turns out. (((((()))))))))

tracey1970 Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 15

Please post pics!! icon_lol.gif

DefyGravity Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 15

I tried a FBCT on Wednesday and it did not turn out at all! I think part of it was that I didn't have the cake ready right when I got the transfer out, so it had thawed out a bit. Another thing I was told was to grease the wax paper with a little shortening. Also, make the transfer really thick so it doesn't break.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out! icon_smile.gif

kikster Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #15 of 15

Is this how people typically do a logo on a cake? I have a groom's cake that is a cream cheese icing, and they want a UT Longhorn on the top. I am reading this thinking it might be a good way to transfer the exact logo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%