Newbie With A Few Questions

Decorating By cindycraig Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 5:12am by JanH

cindycraig Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #1 of 4

I am going to tackle my first fully fondant cake tomorrow and have a couple of questions. First- Should the buttercream layer underneath be thin or is it ok to put a nice thick layer on? Next- the party is Saturday evening, and I know I shouldn't refrigerate it- but will the fondant dry out while it sits for a couple of days? Or should I wait and do it Friday night???? All three of my kids have a birthday this week and I'm decorating 2- 2 tier cakes and some cuppies between now and then and want to ensure that they all turn out yummy as well as pretty. With all of the other cooking I have to do I'd like to knock this one out early in case I mess it up ! icon_lol.gif Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

3 replies
hellohappycakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 4

Wow, you have a lot going on...I think that I get all my cakes baked and buttercream, fillings,even colored my fondant in advance, but as per decorating I think wait it out as long as you can before decorating.....I have leveled, filled and crumb coated the cake a day in advance and then the night before decorated it...it works out good. Good luck, your kids will love it......

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 4

The fondant cakes will keep fresh longer than the cupcakes, so make them first icon_biggrin.gif Two days in advance is fine for a fondant-covered cake. It's easier to cover a cake that has a thin layer of buttercream, because otherwise it wants to smoosh out when you smooth the fondant.

The outside of the fondant will dry out a bit but the buttercream will keep it soft enough to cut and to eat.

JanH Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #4 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, cindycraig. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%