"i Was So Excited When I Met ...."

Lounge By indydebi Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 10:18am by -K8memphis

indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 47

Doesn't have to be anyone famous, but who is the person that you were so excited to have met in your lifetime?

I have two.

One was the grandfather of one of my brides. I MADE her introduce me to him. He was one of the original Tuskegee Airmen. The most distinguished, soft spoken man I've ever met. What an honor.

Another was a man I recently made a birthday cake for. His 90th birthday. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor. He said he was in line for breakfast line when "....all hell broke loose. And suddenly we just weren't interested in standing in a chow line."

Both of these easily top even getting my picture taken with Vice President Dan Quayle!

46 replies
kellertur Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 47

Stephen King ~ when we moved to Bangor and lived one street over.
(very friendly guy).

I got to meet three of the original "Flying Tigers", back in 1990...that was a REAL thrill, because I was working on my pilot's license at the time.
We ran into them at the airport (wearing their trademark jackets).

Sox-n-Pats Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:29am
post #3 of 47

President Carter. My husband spent a week with him whie serving in Bangladesh. Then when Carter's autobiography came out, we went to a book signing and Pres. Carter remembered my husband (we had brought a picture of them), and he took the time to talk to my kids and I as well.

Also- last year I got to meet President Clinton as well. I've met Sen. Harry Reid, Gov. Ritter of Colorado, I've met almost the entire Men's gymnastic olympic teams 2004 and 2008 (on a few occasions), Bart Conner, Nadia Comenici, Peter Vidmar, Vitaly Scherbo (he's a friend actually), Nastia Liukin, Carli Patterson and other members of the womens 2004 olympic gymnastics team... (my kids are competitive gymnasts and compete for Vitaly Scherbo)

I sat infront of Joe Theisman on a plane once- after his huge injury. That was cool- those super bowl rings are bigger close up than they are on TV!!

I've met Ambassadors and heads of state of many countries including the US (my dad was a diplomat).

The best has yet to come though... My great uncle was a bombader in WW2- he was KIA on August 29, 1944 in a famous mission... Mission 263- a bombing run of an oil refinery in Czechoslovakia (now the Czech Republic). My family has been invited to a Memorial service this year commemorating the 65th anniversary of that day. We will be meeting the towns folk who helped save lives that day, those who buried my great uncle in their cematary- preventing him being in a mass grave dug by the Nazis, those who are care takers of the museums, the mayors- and we'll also be meeting a few of his crew that are still alive.

I think that trip will trump all the other famous people I have met in my life. We leave August 25th and I can't wait.

auntmamie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 47

wow - perspective.

I thought I was doing good this week when I met Mark Bove, who battled Bobby Flay in Throwdown:Lasanga

itsmylife Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #5 of 47

Well... mine has to do with my avatar.

During a Bon Jovi concert Ft. Lauderdale, he held my hand (very briefly, but it was enough for me icon_lol.gif ) and he pulled on the shoulder of my shirt (it was a football jersey from an arena football team that he co-owns).

Then, a few months later at a Boston concert, I had the same shirt on, and while I was up on the side of the stage, he pointed to me and said "there's my Soul sister". (The Philadelphia Soul is his arena football team).

Definitely exciting for me!!

nannie Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #6 of 47

I used to work at a hotel in Kansas City and met a few

the most memorable:

Cary Grant... I raced a maid down the hall to be the one to give him extra towels icon_redface.gif

Katherine Hepburn... sweet and saucy little old lady

Paul Newman... yes those eyes were stunningly blue

cmp24 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:29am
post #7 of 47

Ok....Let's see

Brooks & Dunn
Reba McEntire
Chris Cagle
Kevin Fowler
Rick Trevino
Tracy Lawrence
Doug Stone
Arron Watson
Clint Black

But my all time favorite is.......................GEORGE STRAIT

Rylan Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:08am
post #8 of 47

I was so excited when I first met my soon-to-be-husband. I already have that psychic that this was it.

There is this one celebrity whom I met but I'm shy to say who it is. I didn't expect it and I couldn't sleep for days.

Etta1025 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 47

Years ago I went to Cancun on a business conference. We stayed at a pretty swanky place. Just so happened that MTV was there filming all of their spring break shows. Their celebrity guests were staying at the same hotel. Most would appeal to a younger crowd, but this is who we saw/met:

Ryan Rynalds
Tara Reid
Ludicris
Mandy Moore
The Rock
All those kids from the Scooby Doo Movie (Sarah Michelle Geller, Freddie Price Jr.)
Some rapper named Fat Joe

But perhaps the most interesting was the prince of Saudi Arabia. His huge yacht anchored outside the hotel one day, along with an entourage of 600 people! My friend got bumped up to a suite, because his security guards needed her room because it had "secure phone lines." He had 12 wives. Yes, you read that right. 12 wives. Blondes, brunettes, red heads, light skin, dark skin -- you name it! Not one was over 22 or 23 years old. They all pranced out to the beach one day wearing the EXACT same string biniki, but in different colors. icon_smile.gif

This was not by any means an honor, but it was definitely fun to watch all the hoopla!

Shelle_75 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

There is this one celebrity whom I met but I'm shy to say who it is. I didn't expect it and I couldn't sleep for days.

Awww, that's no fair!!! Now I need to know!

icon_lol.gif

jammjenks Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 47

I've led quite the boring life compared to most of you guys, but I met Kirk Cameron as a kid and I thought I'd gone to heaven. He was signing autographs at a car show here in NC, and we had our picture made with him....dreamy....at that time anyway.

kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 47

I guess no one has impressed me as I can't think of one icon_sad.gif

I did not actually meet them but Elvis, Pat Boon, along w/Steve & Edie(sp?) and others I can't remember all preformed at my high school back around 1956.

JaimeAnn Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:01am
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I was so excited when I first met my soon-to-be-husband. I already have that psychic that this was it.

UUGGGGHHHH You have to tell ! whats with the cliffhanger? hahahahahah

I wanna Know!

As for me ....

I have met quite a few "celebrities" growing up and living most of my life in southern California. I have been to a few award shows and after partys. The funnest was the 2005 Video Game awards for Spike T.V. it was a smaller event and got to mingle ..

Not really excited about meeting any of them but some of my favorites were.

Anthony Keidis
Jason Lee
Jamie Pressly
Rick Allen (one armed drummer for Def Leopard)
Snoop Dog (he is hilarious)
George Jones
Sonny Bono
Buck Owens
Jared Leto
Travis Barker

Who I would have loved to meet and would have been more than excited......

Bruce Lee... I am a HUGE Bruce Lee fan!

TJCanadian Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:41am
post #14 of 47

I met the Queen Mum 20 years ago and shook her hand and gave her a pen that had our angus beef ranch name on it. True to form, she was wearing a powder blue elegant suit and hat with veil. It was at the World Angus Forum in Edmonton, Alberta.

nannie Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 47

the queen mum icon_eek.gif

now that is wonderful

maggiev777 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:45pm
post #16 of 47

Ok, this wasn't me, but it is a cool story so I thought I'd pass it along.

When my mom was in high school (late 50s) Elvis came and sang at her local community center (this was when he was just getting to be well known, before his real crazy fame). Anyway, during his break, he asked her to dance! They ended up dancing several times during the night, and at the end of the night, he actually gave her a picture of himself and wrote on the back, "Baby, let's play house".

Unfortunately, my grandmother saw the picture and thought what he had written on it was obscene, so she threw it away!!!!!

Funny thing was, my grandmother ended up loving Elvis later and was sad that she threw it away. Who knows what it would have been worth later!

As for me, I met Zsa Zsa Gabor once in a restaurant bathroom in Singapore in about 1985 when I was about 12 years old. My mom talked to her and they lamented together about how uncomfortable high heels are.

maggiev777 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:47pm
post #17 of 47

oops, double post!

jammjenks Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiev777

They ended up dancing several times during the night, and at the end of the night, he actually gave her a picture of himself and wrote on the back, "Baby, let's play house".

That certainly made me smile. icon_smile.gif

itsmylife Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #19 of 47

Okay... I posted before about Bon Jovi... and that has still been the highlight of my life... HOWEVER, last night I met Paula Deen and her son Bobby at a small event/book signing here in Tampa. She was hilarious, and her son was so nice (and CUTE!).

Trying to add a pic, but it's not working. icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

Okay... I posted before about Bon Jovi... and that has still been the highlight of my life... HOWEVER, last night I met Paula Deen and her son Bobby at a small event/book signing here in Tampa. She was hilarious, and her son was so nice (and CUTE!).

Ok, the Queen Mum had me with little bite of the green eyed monster, but this one has me crying in total envy! icon_cry.gif

tamarawagner99 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmylife

Oh, I so want to meet her! Was she as precious as she seems? How about Bobby? Is he as good looking as he seems?

itsmylife Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:56am
post #22 of 47

She was soooo incredibly sweet. Truly made you feel as if you've known her forever. After the book signing, she spoke and told story after story...some touching, most absolutely hilarious.

Bobby Deen was VERY good looking (even better looking in person than on TV). You could tell he loves his mother sooo much just by the comments he would make. When I shook his hand, he stood up to shake my hand, and then sat down when we were done (very gentlemanly).

I keep trying to attach a pic ...I've resized it... but it still won't work!!!

mariecar6 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:06am
post #23 of 47

Meeting Bon Jovi - what envy! icon_surprised.gif
Many of you have met such interesting people...

I was SO excited to meet (only introductions) Willie Stargell and Dave Parker of the '79 Pittsburgh Pirates, among others. A friend took me down to the clubhouse.
Then in 2004, I met Carlos Delgado of the NY Mets when both my daughters won 1st and 2nd places in an island-wide story contest. Carlos' organization called "Extra Bases" was the main promoter and we got to take pictures with him and talk awhile. A very sweet down to earth person.

Marie

kellertur Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 1:39am
post #24 of 47

This doesn't count because it's my in laws, but they lead a very exciting life, so I have to mention of few of their's.

My FIL (was a very young mayor), and has met Muhammed Ali, and a many others. My FIL's basement is full of photos, articles but he's very humble. Everytime we pull them out he gets embarassed. I think that's rare...

My inlaws were invited to the white house about 10 yrs ago and they ate at the same table with Bill Clinton and Al Gore. Infact she even danced with Gore. (I love their adventures... icon_rolleyes.gif)

DefyGravity Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #25 of 47

Though I never met him in person, I talked to Tucker Carlson on the phone for a few hours one day. I was a senior in HS and was in LOVE with him at the time (lol, I was odd in HS, picking people off CNN to fall in love with!) On a trip I took to Washington DC, I started talking to this one guy in my hotel. Somehow the conversation turned to Tucker, and he said "Oh yeah, I know him" I thought he was full of crap, but I gave him my email address anyway. I got an email from Tucker like a week or two later using his personal email, giving me his cell number!

I called him, but he was in the middle of doing something with his girls, and when he called me back, I was in the checkout at the grocery store. FINALLY when I got home I talked to him for almost 2 hours, interviewing him for my school's newspaper. What an easy guy to talk to! He was scheduled to be 1/2 hour from my hometown in the coming weeks and said he looked forward to seeing me (OMG, I was dying). I got an email from him a week later saying that something happened and he wouldn't be making the trip.

Super nice guy. Now I want to go look at my scrapbook to find his email address and send him another email! haha!

VannaD Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:43am
post #26 of 47

Im young so will someone please tell me who (gasp) the Queen Mum is?
Ive met no one famous but my dad is one of our Governors security people and has met Charlton Heston (I think thats his name, played Moses) and a few others. His friend travels with the governor and has met Bush Jr. and Gov. Arnold and many others.

chilz822 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:59am
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Quote:

Anthony Keidis

JEALOUS, yep, that's me!
icon_razz.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:19am
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Quote:
Quote:

Anthony Keidis

JEALOUS, yep, that's me!
icon_razz.gif

Yeah He's HOT! Hes kinda quiet but Flea was there too and he was running around like a crazy man! So I didn't really get to "meet" him. icon_cry.gif

chilz822 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 7:25am
post #29 of 47

Hey JaimeAnn, next time you're on myspace, check out the ChiliPeppers video I have posted... The top one labeled 'Right On Time'... check out the bods!
heh

adonisthegreek1 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:43am
post #30 of 47

Motley Crue
Cinderella (80s metal band)
Ron Wood (Rolling Stones)
LL Cool J
Omarion (hiphop)
Shirley Chisholm
Ralph Tresvant (New Edition)
L.A. Guns

Gosh, I'd have to look in my scrapbook for more.

People I wish I'd met in my lifetime Michael Jackson, Ghandi and Mother Theresa. No, I'm not putting them in the same category so let's not debate that.

At the end of my road, I plan to meet Jesus.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%