Help For Amateur :)

Decorating By mrsredmond Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:42am by Elise87

mrsredmond Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 4

I'm attempting to make a crown shaped cake for my daughters 5th birthday. I've hired a wilton tin and I'm reasonably confident with all that. I need help with suggestions for decorating it.

Previously I've used pre-bought fudge and used that to decorate cakes making it different colours and piping it on. This time I was thinking of branching out and making my own frosting.

I need an easy frosting recipe that I can't mess up LOL cause I'm not very good with this type of stuff. And also something that is easy to work with but is not too soft.

All suggestions, help, ideas would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance

3 replies
Elise87 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 4

Don't know if you are looking for a buttercream recipe but i have one that is really basic, tastes good and that i have always used:

CRUSTING BUTTERCREAM (larger quantity)

500g unsalted butter, softened
1kg icing sugar
8 tsp boiling water
optional: 2 tsp vanilla essence

Beat butter with mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well after each addition. Add the water and beat well.

Chocoloate version: Beat in 60g of sifted cocoa

*slight pale yellow colour. more the beat the butter, lighter colour will be

HTH icon_smile.gif

mrsredmond Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 4

Thanks heaps for your help Elise icon_smile.gif That sounds like a winner and an easy Aussie recipe I can follow LOL

Elise87 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 4

yeh i use it all the time cose i don't like to use shortening and it's really easy. It is pretty much the same recipe as the women's weekly has in it's Childrens birthday cake book icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%