Gum Paste Help!!!

Decorating By ezbakin Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 12:07am by Rylan

ezbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezbakin Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have been looking around on the site and I can't find any answers to my question. I am making a shoe for the top of the cake out of gum paste. This is my 1st time using it but from what I read it easy to use. I have made the shape and left it to dry and after 24hours it is still the same as it was when I started. I am using Nicholas Lodge gumpaste which I was told by the store and also printed on the package it dries in 2-5 hours. I am not sure what i am doing wrong!!! This cake is for my head chef for his finance for her birthday and if this cake is not to his standard and the shoe looks good it could make for a very miserable working environment!!! icon_cry.gif Please any suggestions send them my way, time is ticking away as we speak...............

3 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 4

I am sorry but I have no idea why it would not be dry. Did you put something on it like shortening? That adds moisture and can be the issue.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 4

I haven't ever used Nicholas Lodge's premade gumpaste, I usually make my own. I do know from having made some shoes that it sometimes takes longer for the shoe to dry, mainly from the supports and stuffing used to keep it in shape and also in my area the humidity. I also find it takes longer to dry on the shoes than the flowers cause I roll it out thicker. I always use a little mini fan in the room pointed on my thicker gumpaste peices.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 4

Maybe the humidity?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%