Fondant / Gumpaste Flip Flop Straps~Help Please!

Decorating By jerseybeachbum20 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm by BJ

jerseybeachbum20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseybeachbum20 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone~

Does anyone have a template to share for flip flop straps? I'm trying to get a "dressier" effect rather than use twizzlers. OR any tips, advice and help??
Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
hellohappycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellohappycakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 4

I just made flip flips(very small)....I cut a circle and trimmed it to be the bottom part and poked three holes to insert the strap...I rolled the smallest, thinnest straps and inserted them into the holes secured with a damp brush. Then I made a small flower and attached it to where the two straps meet up by the toes.......it came out cute.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 4

Great queston.....I am looking for the same. I have been all through the templates looking for it. icon_cool.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 4

I do alot of flip flop cakes - please see my pix. I have my first one pictured there. I'll try to attach it to this post but I usually don't have much luck doing that.
I made the straps out of gumpaste but you can also use fondant and mix gum-tex into it to make it dry hard or a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.
I just rolled out fondant and cut 1/2" stips. I used a pair of real flip flops to look at the shape of how they would sit and used cotton balls to prop them into place and let them dry. Then I just stuck them into the cakes and Wah-Lah! Flip-flops! I do make an extra set just in case they brake. I really love making those cakes. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%