Top Tier Slanted

Decorating By sweetK Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm by Texas_Rose

sweetK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetK Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 2

I just did a castle cake and it was beautiful except the top tier was slanted on one side! I put a leveler on the top of the cake after it was frosted and the bubble showed it was even. When I put it on top of the cake, it was about 1/2 taller on one side. Could my foil underneath the cake might have been too bulky? I thought I cut my dowel rods evenly, could this have been the problem as the weight of the cake smashed them down further into the cake? I have no idea what happened. The cake also seemed to settle and on the slanted side, my frosting bulked a little on the bottom tier. Any advice on what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 2

It sounds like the dowels were shorter on one side, and that's why the cake ended up with a slanted top. The weight of the top tier pushed into the side with the shorter dowels and that's why the frosting bulked on the bottom tier. Either that or the dowels moved after the cake was stacked...were you there when the cake was cut? were the dowels all still standing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%