Need Directions For A Louis Vuitton Handbag Cake.

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm by Karen421

DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 12

Hello! Does anyone have directions for how to make a handbag cake? This is for a LV purse cake.

11 replies
mkm25 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 12

There are a couple of tutorials:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-a-purse-cake-with-fondant-276310/
http://thecakelab.com/blog/index.php?title=title_9&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

But I made mine like this:

I took 2 rectangle (13x9-inch) cakes, cut them in half, and then stacked them on top of each other. So, here's what I had from, bottom to top: cake board, cake, filling, cake, cardboard wrapped in wax paper, cake, filling, cake. Remember to put dowels under the cardboard to support the top part of the cake. Then, I carved the top part of the cake so that it was rounded like a purse. There's really not a lot of carving to do, you just need to get a nice round top. Use a serrated knife to do the carving and just take a little bit off at a time. Then, ice the whole cake with buttercream and cover that with fondant. I used the food writer pens to make the LV pattern on the fondant. It takes some time, but it's not too difficult.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and make the purse handles out of gum paste so they can start drying. I waited until 2 days before the party to do mine and they didn't completely dry in time. To add a little detail, I used a Wilton tool to make a stitch pattern around the purse and on the handles. I can't remember what the tool is called though. It's a little handle and has 3 different round pieces you can mount in it. One of them makes small dots and one makes a dashed line, which is what I used. Alternatively, you can just use a tool you already have to do this. Smile

I think that's it! This cake will easily serve about 20 people. I just tell them to serve the top portion, remove the cardboard, and then serve the bottom half. Good luck!

DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 12

Great! Thanks. I have until October to practice. Great directions.

mkm25 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:10am
post #4 of 12

Oh, you have plenty of time then - perfect!

I have also heard people say that they cut a 9-inch round cake in half, and set the halves on their sides to make the cake. Either way works! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. icon_smile.gif

queenfa Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 12

mkm25
Thank you so much for your tutorial.I also have been looking for this for a while.

DeeDelightful Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 12

yes, thanks very helpful.

solascakes Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks a lot for this

Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Hello! Does anyone have directions for how to make a handbag cake? This is for a LV purse cake.

If you can do edible images, do a google search for LV wall paper....there are some very nice hi resolution images that can be printed on edibles and attached to the fondant of the cake.

Uniqueask Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the info

bagsoutlet Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 12

Hi,

Thanks for your information. you have need some time.

DeeDelightful Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 12

My order for a purse cake was cancelled at the last minute, so i never got around to making this cake, but it's good to have directions. Since then, I have taken a purse class, so that gave me a lot of good information, too.

Karen421 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:27pm
post #12 of 12

There are a couple of patterns in the gallery for LV. Here is a link for one:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1301521

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%