Huge Thank You!! And Update To The 75 Mini Cakes

Decorating By vnm42101 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm by LaBellaFlor

vnm42101 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 8

First of all I want to thank everyone that helped me with the planning, it was a great help. I love CC and everyone here.

For the update....

The wedding was Sunday the 19th and I had to make 75 mini cakes as favors. I baked all the cakes the Sunday before. I ended up making 13 10x10 cakes and torting them in half and used my 3in cookie cutter so that out of each 10x10 cake I got 18 1 inch x 3 inch circles. I let the cakes cool a little and wrapped them in saran wrap and then aluminum foil and froze them. I took the cakes out on wednesday and placed them in the fridge to thaw out. On Thursday, I started filling, icing and covering them with fondant. I tried doing the poured fondant but they did not come out as perfect as I expected. The tops were ok but the bottoms weren't that great since my icing is still not that smooth so I opted for just doing them in regular fondant.

With the help of my sister and husband I had 22 done by Thursday night and the remaining 53 we finished on Friday. Up to this point everything had gone smooth. My sister was taking the cakes to her house since she has an extra refrigirator to store the cakes in, she lives an hour away from me but only 15 minutes away from the reception site.

When she gets home on Friday night well really Saturday since it was 3 in the morning, she calls me to tell me that most of the cakes have blow outs. First thing Saturday morning I drive to her house to try and salvage the cakes. Everytime we took them out of the fridge, the cakes would get blowouts and they were BAD!!! The blow out was stretching the fondant and lifting the buttercream right off the cake. We tried using a needle and puncturing the blow outs and trying to mend the fondant but a few minutes later the blowout would come out again. At this point the fondant looked so bad that I wanted to cry but my brother in law kept saying that no one would notice since they were in a box. At this point there was nothing else I could do.

My question to you guys now is, why did this happen? This has never happend to me before. The only thing I could think of since it is the only thing that I did different from usual is that the cakes were frozen before hand. Should I have taken them out of the fridge and let them get to room temperature before filling and icing? They were completely defrosted.

Well fast forward to the party on Sunday and everyone loved the cakes. No one mentioned anything about the bumps and patches and my cousin the bride was very happy with the cakes.

So again thank you for all your help. Here is a picture of the final product.

7 replies
basketlacey Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have any advice on what happened but kudos to you for getting that many cakes made! I don't see the picture attached.

vnm42101 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry I am having problems uploading. They are saved in my pictures.

Thank you again.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

I've made mini cakes before and I torte, fill and (frost the top only) before I freeze them...then after they're frozen I cut them, and keep them frozen until they're covered with fondant. The sides don't have buttercream that way but they still taste great. I only take a couple out of the freezer at a time and cover them. They look wet as they thaw but the moisture evaporates and they come out looking fine.

I've never had to make 75 though...that sounds like a huge chore!

Anyhow, they look very nice in your photos. The packaging with the two colors of ribbon is great, and your flowers are gorgeous.

brincess_b Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

cakes not being at room temp when decorated and then in and out the fridge as well can have problems. if everything else you did was as normal, id be looking to that.

katwomen1up Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 8

Yes it was in and out of the fridge that made that happen it would be safe to say. I had the same problem last Thursday. I kept putting a cake in and out of the fridge and it had a huge blow out. That and the humidity is a terribel mix.

Lcubed82 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 8

They are lovely- The roses are beautiful!

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

I think they're beautiful. And I also think it was the constant temperature change.

Quote by @%username% on %date%