Gumpaste Chain

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm by dogwood

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hello fellow CCers, I got an order to make an army themed cake with dog tags, but I'm not sure how to go about making the chain. I figured I would make the tiny little beads of out gumpaste and string them on something (not sure what). Any tips or suggestions? I"d also like to know how to get them bright silver - it seems like it might be difficult to paint tiny beads silver individually! Any tips are appreciated!

6 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 7

I would do a small whole pearl mold or whole bead mold and use silver highliter to get that chrome finish. if you are doing the dog tags bigger then try to match the scale and pick the right size pearl mold.
But whatever mold you deside on, after you make the bead chain matching the right size/scale dog tag will be by eye. You could lay some dog tags on a photo copy and enlargen it until the size matches the beads you have and then you have a paper template for your tags and the right scale in size.

sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 7

Wow I think I need another cup of caffeen!

You could use silver dragees and just line them up and glue them down. Haha
Still use silver highlighter for the tags to get the chrome color you need.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 7

Wow thanks for the suggestions sadsmile - what about if I don't have a pearl mold or dragees though? LOL. It was a last minute order and I don't have either of these items (and they don't sell the dragees at Hobby Lobby). It looks like I might be spending a couple hours rolling teeny tiny balls of gumpaste then painting them. Yikes...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 7

You could pipe very small dots of BC in gray and use silver luster dust to highlight after it has crusted.

sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 7

tiggy2 to the rescue! thumbs_up.gif

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 7

You could make your beads, string them on nylon fishing line before they get completely dry. Then once they completely dry drop them in a zip lock bag, or some other container, that you have put silver luster dust in and shake them up (gently) until covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%