Dowels Vs Skewers

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm by brincess_b

MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 9

So I recently tried my first tiered cake. It was just a 6" and an 8". I used wooden skewers for support and it worked fine...but I just realized there's a difference between dowels and skewers. Does it really matter which I use? I'm thinking it might be a problem with bigger cakes or if I actually have to transport them. Is that true, or would skewers work fine? Thanks!

8 replies
sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 9

skewers will not work as they are not ridgid but flexible and will allow more movement in your cake and they are thiner and your cake could rip right through them. Dowels or bubble tea straws are soo much better.

MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 9

Ok thanks. You've confirmed my suspicion. My cake never moved further than from my fridge to my counter and back again. Now...where the heck do I find dowels? And are they called something different here in the UK?

brincess_b Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 9

if you have a hobby craft, they sell them (and they are still called dowels). they arent available in any supermarkets though, but if you have a local cake store they will have some, and there are plenty of online places i can recommend too.
xx

MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 9

I would love a website, if you don't mind. I'm very much of the internet generation icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 9

Doug's the man! He always has what ya need.
Doug I am still thanking you for those templates and I'll have you know that your help is directly responcible for helping make my hat box as great as it was. I totally pimped out those templates you uploaded for me!

Doug Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Doug's the man! He always has what ya need.
Doug I am still thanking you for those templates and I'll have you know that your help is directly responcible for helping make my hat box as great as it was. I totally pimped out those templates you uploaded for me!

thank you!

---

and I must say:

that hat box cake is amazing....

and....

you're the kind of mom that kids must really love and all the neighborhood kids want for their own too...

that cat box cake is hilarious and such a great set up (ah the future stories the kids will tell...And then there was the time my mom made...)

brincess_b Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 9

never used cake links, but can vouch for cakes cookies and crafts. they are good, but a bit more expensive (pennies to about 40p) than www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk which i also use, whos gumpaste is really good too.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%