How Many Orders Do You Turn Down Each Week?

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm by 1234me

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:50am
post #1 of 4

My business is fairly new, and I'm not wanting to grow too quickly.

I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance. We currently have at least one wedding ( most weekends 2 or 3) every weekend through the end of the year, with several occasion cake orders already on the books. We are getting calls at the beginning of the week for orders for that weekend, most are somewhat low-key decorations (not many that require much pre-planning), but we just don't have the time to squeeze them in. I'm hoping to hire one or two part time decorators to help.

3 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:57am
post #2 of 4

We turn down, on the average, 10-20 orders per week. I've had my shop for three years, so I'm well-established.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 4

I work alone, and I turn down about two to three per day. If I had a shop I'd be able to do them, but would I want to? icon_wink.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 4

It varies - over the summer I haven't had to turn down too many but during the school year, I would say 4-5 per week. I have it listed on my website I require a 7 day notice and now my customers know they have to reserve a spot as soon as they know a date - they can give me details closer to the date of the event but they reserve their spots weeks/months in advance because they know I book up. You only have to tell them no once, that you need more notice, and they will start to give you the notice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%