Hershey Chocolate Cake Sinking?

Decorating By keyshia Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm by Price

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 8

Hey, I've been using the hershey chocolate cake recipe (on the cocoa) for my chocolate cakes. I make them exact except I sub a little coffee in the water. It seems to me that they've been sinking int he middle lately. Anyone have any idea why this might be? My aunt made it and it did the same thing. I haven't changed the temp or anything and even have the problem when making 10 in cakes iwth a cake nail.

Sadly, I love the cake so much that I don't awnt to scrap the recipe, and thought you all might have some input for me.

Thanks in advance

Keyshia

7 replies
erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 8

mine have started sinking in the middle as well. not too bad, but a little. It's my favorite recipe for chocolate cake. I'm thinking maybe it's the humidity, but I don't know. Maybe someone out there has an answer. Just thought I'd let you know you aren't the only one it's happening to. icon_smile.gif

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 8

I used that recipe several times because it tastes so good, but everytime it sank in the middle. Made cupcakes and they did, too! I dont know why it does this. I finally went to a different recipe. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 8

I too love the taste of the Hershey's cake. I had a problem with mine sinking. I tried changing the temp., baking longer and nothing helped. The last time I lowered the rack in the oven and the cake came out perfect. I'm not sure why that would effect it, but it did.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 8

so glad to see that I am not the only one. icon_smile.gif I will definitely try lowering the rack, perhaps that will help mine too! Thanks for the tip!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 8

hmmm... lowering the oven rack, huh? I'll have to give that a shot next time.

I have the same problem. I keep making it and trying to tweak it, because I love the flavor of it so much. The last time I made it I added some sour cream (in place of some of the liquid it calls for) and it sank much less....

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 8

I only tried it once because everyone has raved over it, but mine sank as well icon_sad.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 8

Oh, adding sour cream sounds really good. I'll have to give that a try the next time. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you add?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%