How To Cover A Large Torso With Fondant??

Decorating By Ruth0304 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm by Doug

Ruth0304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0304 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 7

icon_confused.gif Hello!! I will be doing my first boob with torso cake, and I was wondering how to roll such a large piece of fondant, and how do I put it on such a large piece cake without any wrinkles or rips?

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 7

Is it in a standing position or is it going to lay flat?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 7

i roll fondant on a sheet of vinyl (the clear stuff that's soft and flexible and used to protect table clothes ) -- have several sizes for different needs.

advantages:
> easy to get it very smooth
> fondant "clings" to vinyl well enough that you just flip the whole thing over on top of the cake and then peel the vinyl away -- no rips or tears (that is until you mess up the smoothing icon_rolleyes.gif )

you can get vinyl in fabric stores -- it's on a roll and they cut to length. I got a 3' foot wide piece full width of roll and then cut it into several different size pieces.

Ruth0304 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Is it in a standing position or is it going to lay flat?

laying flat

Ruth0304 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

i roll fondant on a sheet of vinyl (the clear stuff that's soft and flexible and used to protect table clothes ) -- have several sizes for different needs.

advantages:
> easy to get it very smooth
> fondant "clings" to vinyl well enough that you just flip the whole thing over on top of the cake and then peel the vinyl away -- no rips or tears (that is until you mess up the smoothing icon_rolleyes.gif )

you can get vinyl in fabric stores -- it's on a roll and they cut to length. I got a 3' foot wide piece full width of roll and then cut it into several different size pieces.

Thanks, Do I need to add crisco or anything to the vinyl so that the fondant doesn't stick?

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:28am
post #6 of 7

I use a large wilton mat and I usually rub some crisco on the mat before rolling a large piece of fondant to make sure that when I roll it on my roller that it don't stick to the mat.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 7

i've done both crisco and powdered sugar on the vinyl with about equal success.

tho' the sugar is easier to clean off which is a factor for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%