How To Ship A 6 Inch Cake

Decorating By soanesk Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 12:27pm by cylstrial

soanesk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soanesk Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know how to ship a 6 inch cake? It would be a buttercream and fondant cake. How would I attach it to the base to keep it stable etc? ANy pointers would be great.

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

I honestly wouldn't suggest shipping cakes in the summer.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #3 of 5

I have only heard bad things about shipping cakes as well. One lady on here even insured the cake and UPS or Fed Ex (whoever it was) wouldn't even give her the money back (cause the cake looked like someone had jumped up and down on it 30 times). Anyway, they said that food isn't covered or something like that.

soanesk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soanesk Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:07am
post #4 of 5

I live in New Zealand so it is winter at the moment. I know of companies online that ship minicakes. I was wondering if anyone knows how they do this? I was thinking a 6 inch might be the largest one could go?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 5

Well, if you're going to do it, you would definitely have to freeze the entire cake. And buy dry ice to pack around it. (I'm assuming that even though it's winter there, that's it's not cold, cold. But I could be totally wrong. You'll have to put it in a bakery box, then put it in another box with styrofoam peanuts all around it. And then you will have to put it in another box. I worked at a coffee shop and they did get frozen cakes from someplace. That's how they did it. But I'm sure it costs a lot to do all of this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%