How To Get Jet Black Color In Fondant

Decorating By sugardoll Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:52am by beachcakes

sugardoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardoll Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 14

i have been using wilton black color to tint my fondant but getting no good results..its just turning into dark grey no matter how much black color i m using...is there any other color i have to mix in it..god know where im going wrong.

13 replies
mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 14

I just made black fondant and it came out great. But I use americolor, and I did not color an entire batch black, I colored 1/4 of it black, and used about 4 good size squirts of my gel color. It worked great. But if I had to make a whole batch black, I bet I would need the whole bottle! (they are tiny bottles, 1-2 oz maybe? - I get them for 99 cents each. Mine turned dark greay also, I just added more until I got black...and I dont thikn it turned jet black right away, color darkens as it sits. But it was dark enough for me to tell it was nearly black.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 14

If you have some chocolate and corn syrup, make chocolate clay (2:1 ratio) and mix it in with your fondant. That will at least darken it. You really need to find Americolor "Super Black"...and the Super Red while you're at it... Powdered colors are also good since gel colors will break down fondant... Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Pat B.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 14

Tons and tons of gel color.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #5 of 14

Americolor "Super Black" will do the trick. You don't even need that much to get a deep color. I swear by it. Wilton colors are not very strong.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 14

Or...just buy Black Satin Ice and lower your stress levels tremendously...lol icon_wink.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 14

I agree with plbennet...just buy the stuff...saves lots of time and stress..not to mention gel color.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #8 of 14

I have made jet black from bright white using only Wilton gel color, so I know that it works. Just keep kneading, and if you feel it's getting a little soft or sticky, let it rest uncovered for a minute or so and then continue. And don't forget to wear gloves.

HTH

sugardoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardoll Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 14

thankyou guys for all ur advises.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 14

My Americolor Super Balck is the largest bottle of color I have..LOL i got the big one. It is way better then Wilton gels ad I always seem to have a need for black in every cake I do. How crazy is that!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 14

Buy it precolored. Make it easy on yourself.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 14

I use the Wilton Black gel and it works fine.
When mixing the color into the fondant - remember that the color it will dry to is always much darker than what your looking at when it's soft and your mixing the color in...... Alot of people get frustrated with black and red but I've never had any problems with either color - you just have to remember the "darkens when dry" rule.
I just made some black last night for some bumble bees I was making and it does look like a dark grey - but this morning when I checked on them - it was already black. Test it with a small peice if your not sure.... thumbs_up.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #13 of 14

I have an airbrush that I use on mine when I do black and dark red.First I add the gel coloring and let it sit for a little while after I have made the shape I want or have rolled it out to the size I need then after that I spray it.If you don't have an airbrush,wilton sells it in the can.This is just what has been working for me,I have only just overcame my "fear of fondant"you may find a better way by experimenting with different techniques.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #14 of 14

I agree w/ the others - buy it premade! icon_smile.gif There is a recipe in the recipe section for True black MMF. It is achieved using chocolate and black gel color. It gets very black, but is a little soft to work with. I used it when the black Satin Ice was backordered and I couldn't get any in time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%