Need Help With Design!

Decorating By maudabom Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm by tiggerjo

maudabom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maudabom Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 14

I got a call for a groom's cake. She wants a baseball cap and a basketball (both 3d, carved) to serve 200. I told her that the cap and ball would only feed 40 max and we would have to put them on a sheetcake or something to add the servings. How in the world will I make this look like a cohesive design?? She said she wants it more basketball themed, but she definately wants the baseball cap with his initial on the front icon_confused.gif I was thinking to decorate the sheet to look like a basketball court.

I have thought to put either the ball or the cap on a round on top of the sheet with the ball next to it, but...??

I had also thought to do cake balls in orange painted to look like basketballs and use them as a border.. but??

I dunno.

Any Ideas????

13 replies
burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 14

Does he have a favourite NBA team, I mean all the pro teams have ball caps

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 14

How about a round cake on the bottom, ball cake decorated to look like a basketball on top and the hat on top of that like the ball its wearing the hat? I think that would look cool!

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 14

If you're up for it, make the base cake look like a basket ball court(hardwood), then have the baketball on top with the hat in his favorite team colors leaning against it, if he has a basketball team he loves a jersey kind of thrown on the "floor" would look awesome.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 14

I'd go for what kawaii suggested. I'd do the court and use the baseball cap.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:28am
post #6 of 14

I'd turn the sheet cake into a basketball jersey, have cap cake leaning on neck of jersey and place ball towards underarm of jersey sleeve. (Sort of like a in a display window). place all cakes on one large boad.

christinapp Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:30am
post #7 of 14

I'd turn the sheet cake into a basketball jersey, have cap cake leaning on neck of jersey and place ball towards underarm of jersey sleeve. (Sort of like a in a display window). place all cakes on one large board.

christinapp Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 14

I'd turn the sheet cake into a basketball jersey, have cap cake leaning on neck of jersey and place ball towards underarm of jersey sleeve. (Sort of like a in a display window). place all cakes on one large board.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:31am
post #9 of 14

I like Kawaiicake's suggestion. Thats what I was pictureing too.

christinapp Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 14

Sorry about the mulitiple post.
Attached is a sketch of the idea I mentioned in my earlier post. Not to scale, but gives a general picture of idea.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:18am
post #11 of 14

I like the court with a basketball wearing the baseball cap with one of those cute smiley faces on the basketball.....with his tongue sticking out or something!

christinapp Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 14

Sorry!!! The attachment of my sketch won't upload so I have uploaded it in my photos. Take a look.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 14

Christinapp - love this design!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 14

the wedding date could be the number on the jersey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%