When To Frost/fill/cover With Fondant?

Decorating By HelenM2002 Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 1:53am by kakeladi

HelenM2002 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 2

I have my last class of the Wilton Gumpaste & Fondant class on Monday night, and I need to have my cake ready before I go to work on Monday morning. However, my family & I are going out of town Saturday morning until mid-afternoon on Sunday.

The cake is already baked, and is in the freezer so it won't get stale. When should I take it out? Can I fill & frost it while it's still frozen, or does it need to thaw first? (It will only be a thin frosting, since it will be covered with fondant.) It needs to be room temperature before I cover it with fondant, right?

I was thinking that I might fill & frost it on Friday night and leave it out (in a cake carrier) and then cover it with fondant on Sunday after we get home. Does that sound like a good plan?

TIA from a newbie!

1 reply
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 2

Once a cake is crumb coated with b'cream it can/should be left UNcovered.
The icing will seal in the moisture so it won't 'get dry'. I don't know what the weather is like where you are.......if it is warm/humid I would put the cake in the frig until Sunday when you get back. It should come to room temp w/in an hour so you can cover it w/fondant and still get it done before bedtime icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%